Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Wildfires

Just read through some of the online reports about the wildfires in SoCal. I didn't realize there was one in Lake Arrowhead area. My nephew and his family moved out of that area just a few months ago, and I am so glad that they did. Why do some people think it's funny to start a fire just as the Santa Ana's begin to blow? DON'T THEY KNOW ANY BETTER!!??? It happens every 3-4 years, some idiot lights a fire just as the Santa Ana's begin to blow. I'm not saying all these fires are arson, some are caused by a cigarette butt someone didn't put out, or a campfire that wasn't extinguished properly, or that gets away from the camper before they can put it out.

And yes, the winds do get up to 100 mph. I used to have to walk to school in them. Funny, it was always on the days with 80 mph winds that the trees would fall down...

Still waiting to hear if my sister who lives closer in to LA was affected. My dad and brother David should be ok, they're in the alluvial plain with two washes between them and the fires (wash: where the water goes when there is water). My brother Blaine may have to evacuate, but I don't think so. They've had to in the past, since they're closer to the mountains.

Reading the stories of those that have had to evacuate makes me grateful for my 72-hour kit. I should go update it. But at least I have it. Two, in fact. One for my home, and one for my car.

4 comments:

Cami said...

Good for you Julia!I am a total slacker on the 72-hour-kit thing. I don't know why. I always resolve, and then I don't do it.

My friend had to evacuate from her house! Now her family is staying with some friends until they find out if their house is burned. How horrible!

The Spiveys said...

I hope your family is all safe! Keep us updated.

Jenni said...

The stories from these fires have been ripping my heart out - I've had to stop watching the coverage cause I just feel so horrible about it. I'm glad your family out there is safe.

Anonymous said...

Dad mentioned that the winds were clocked in Malibu at 108mph.

They're fine.

Mike