Saturday I went to Revel Grove (also known as the Maryland Renaissance Festival). My purpose in going was to attend all of the Royal shows and do some serious shopping. It was accomplished.
I was late that morning, so I missed the Opening Ceremonies. I had seen it before, with the Edwards Family, so I wasn't too concerned. After I left my house I realized that I had left my ticket at home. I could have just bought a full-price ticket at the gate, but decided to return for the cheaper one I had already purchased (I hadn't gotten too far, only to Rte 1, so it wasn't a big deal to turn back). Since I was already running late, I accepted that I would miss Opening Cannon and moved on. Then I found the traffic as I left Rte 32 and joined I-97. It was then that I became concerned that I would miss Fight School as well. However, that did not happen. I managed to get in, parked, and through the gate by about 10:30 am. I bought my very first Scottish Egg--very yummy, btw, and made my way to the Market Stage.
I did meet Captain Romero and Hamish on the way there, but they were getting ready for the show so I didn't distract them. Fight School was brilliant, as ever. The funniest thing was during the first fight. Now, understand, this was the first cool day in about a month. Swords can be brittle when cold. During the opening fight between Captain Romero and Nymblewick, Captain Romero broke Nyblewick's sword. From then on, he was The Swordbreaker. It was so funny! When Nyblewick's line came up "why are you smiling?", instead of the normal "I know something you don't", it was "Because I broke your sword!" Too fun!
So after a very entertaining Fight School, I made my way to the Globe Theater, picking up some soup in a bread bowl on the way. Yum! I saw this year's production of "As You Like It", which was really well done. They manage to do the play in 1 1/2 hours, and I always wonder if they cut things out, but when I go to other productions I don't notice anything different... They are really, really good. Watch out for the sheep, though! They are hilarious!
After that there was about an hour of wandering and purchasing (and getting a pickle) I returned to the Globe Theater where the King was getting ready to meet Anna of Cleves for the very first time. It wasn't pretty. I believe the King's exact words were, "I like her NOT!" There was the typical courtier intrigues as Cromwell's adversaries circled like buzzards, and poor Anna was distraught by the big rude man that came into her room and kissed her on the mouth! (it was the King in disguise). The whole affair was mis-managed (which means that the performances were excellent).
I made my way then to the Lyric Stage where the comedic opera "Makin' ze meat-a balls" was being orchestrated by Leo DaVinci's brother Bob. Always a fun time, with participation (and participants) from the audience. And of course, there's always music, and everybody dies (it's opera!)
After the opera came the Chess Game between King Henry and Princess Anna. There were fighters (Fight School boys plus some others), fighting for each place on the board. Anna won, but sometimes to win is to lose. The King forced Cromwell into a fight, as the King decided to fight for Anna's side and made Cromwell defend the King's position. Not a happy place for Cromwell.
Once the chess game was over (with Cromwell having been made an Earl, don't ask me about the King's mind), I again went shopping, this time to Greentree Weaving, where I picked up the lovely outfit I wore to church on Sunday. I think I need to adjust the skirt a bit, but I absolutely adore the jacket. The pattern is called "berries", and is very purple-y with red, black, and blue intermixed. So comfortable.
I went to the Gatehouse stage where I caught the last part of the singing group performing there (Seraphim), and then listened to Sir Gregory of Carrolton play his guitar in a classical fasion in an attempt to bring some culture to Revel Grove. It was very peaceful there, under the trees, away from the dust of the mobs infesting the village (did I mention it was PACKED?? At least it was cooler, but the dust was still high).
I remained there for "Cromwell's Disgrace", wherein Thomas Cromwell has a vision of the future in which the marriage he orchestrated is annulled, Anne of Cleves is designated King Henry's "sister", and Cromwell is taken to the Tower and beheaded. It was amazing, truly. My heart was touched by Cromwell's predicament. No where to turn, in a trap of his own making, trying only to serve his King. Truly a wonderful performance.
And then it was back to the Market stage for Fight School: RELOADED!! Captain "The Swordbreaker" Romero was there, along with "Batista". It was so much fun. I again must state that once you know the lines, the best part of Fight School is when they ad lib. It gets rediculously funny.
Now, I didn't really run into any of my faire friends this day, for which I hope they will forgive me (then again, they didn't come up to me either). I saw a few in the distance as I was passing along the paths, but I'm afriad I was focused on my pursuits. My purpose was fulfilled--I saw the Royals Progress, I have a new drum, a new outfit, and a pillow with dolls embroidered on it. I ate my favorite yummy things, needing only two more to finish out my year (cheescake on a stick and some mac & cheese on a stick), along with my goal to try new things. So, with one more weekend left, I await with anticipation the closure next weekend will bring. Here's hoping it rains (to keep the dust down, keeping the crowds down is a side-benefit)
Oh, and I have a new personal record for getting out of the parking lot: 2 hours. I had a spot fairly close to the gate, in the outer section, but didn't realize that when you try to leave from there, you basically can't. I think I moved 4 car lengths in about 1 3/4 hours (I listend to an entire CD of E Muzeki and part of Hairspray while sitting there). I finally left that line, drove to the fence and joined the other line, and was out to the road in about 20 minutes. From there it was another 10 to Dairy Queen and a 20 minute wait for dinner and my blizzard (they only had two people working--on a Saturday Night?? I ask you!). So it was around 9:00pm before I got home. man was I tired!!
4 comments:
What an amazing fun fill day. I hate waiting in a car to get out of a place. Yuck. So glad you had a great time.
Wow. What a fun day. Dairy Queen? I haven't had a blizzard in forever. I love the Heath Bar one! Yummy!
You are a true "play-tron" Julia!! It's so fun to read about the festival from your perspective!! I think those Fight School guys are very funny too! Sorry it took you so long to get out of parking - bummer!
Two hours in the parking lot? I would have died! I have never been to the festival, but I will have to call you when I finally do go. You know exactly what is good there don't you?
Post a Comment