Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Alas, poor FUSE

Yesterday was the party for the end of FUSE. I've blogged about this before--the satellite mission I was on for almost 10 years, that we suffered and worked and spent sleepless nights for. FUSE lost it's fourth wheel in July, not to be revived. It stopped so hard and so fast there was just no hope. So last Thursday they turned everything off, drained the batteries, and then turned off the reciever. It will be up there, in it's 500-mile orbit, for the next 30 or so years before it burns up in the Atmosphere.

So I went up to JHU, Homewood campus, to the Bloomberg building where I had spent nearly 10 years of my life working, and saw so many friends and colleagues. Bryce even came! He left after the third wheel died, accepting a position at UC Berkley in California, on the THEMIS mission. Bryce is one of the people who kept FUSE afloat after the loss of the first to wheels, redoing all the science planning software, and making upgrades to it until we go the satellite working almost as good as before it lost those two wheels. It was really great to see everyone. Many of the original Mission Operations Team were there, Tom, Chris, Steve, Ted, Tim--and me, of course. I hope to get the chance to work with all these guys in the future. The satellite industry is a small world, so it probably will happen. In the meantime, they're all at GSFC, and I'm here, and we can always do lunch! :D

Bill Blair, the Chief Project Scientist Manager person, loves to come up with lyrics appropriate to every occaision. On Launch Day, he wrote words to the tune of "I did it my way", by Frank Sinatra, something like "Thank G it's Launch Day". There was one at our five-year anniversary, which I don't remember, and of course there was one yesterday. FUSE's Lament, to the tune of "Memory" from the musical Cats:

Midinight, not a sound from controllers,
Have they lost my transmissions?
I am flying alone...
In the darkness, I slowly spin, reflecting the moon,
Let my batteries... charge again!

Memories, all alone in my orbit...
I remember my launch day,
I was beautiful then.
With four wheels I could point where'er they wanted me to,
Now my four wheels will not spin.

First my gyro-scopes stopped working,
Then my wheels started swerving.
But torquer bars helped me to point at starts,
And soon I was observing!

Now, though, my observing is finished,
I am nothing but space junk,
I am cold and alone.
But my data are safely archived down on the earth.
Let my spectra... live again!

If it weren't for the reaction wheels, FUSE would still be observing. There's no reason why it couldn't have continuted for another 2, 5, or even 10 years. But still, 8 years for an original 3 year mission, with 50% efficiency in science gathering data (the goal was 25%), literally hundreds of research papers, a book, and three Astrophysical Journals dedicated to FUSE data, FUSE did good. The team did very good. I'm proud to have been a part of it.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Ha! Those lyrics are funny! I think it's so neat that you were involved with Fuse Julia!