I've seen this on several friends' blogs, and thought I would give it a shot. I don't think I can come up with 10, but let's see...
Ways I save:
1) I have an amount from my paycheck go directly to my savings account (do not pass Go, do collect 200 dollars). I would never do it on my own, and this way I don't have to think about it
2) I have three grocery store cards, and use them religiously
3) I try to shop sales (not very successful with this one, see number 3 on splurges list)
4) I only allow myself to eat out once a month or when under undue stress (unfortunately the stress thing has been happening a lot lately, time to recommit!)
5) participating in the Meal Swap group (if the meals are already made, I'm more likely to go home and have a decent dinner)
6) Use my AAA credit card for gas (5% back on every purchase at the pump!) I also have to pay this card off every month or I'm not allowed to keep it.
7) Buy in bulk. I love my BJ's membership, even if I only really shop there about once every 3 months. I also buy birthday cards in bulk, so I don't go broke trying to send a (typically late) birthday card to everyone in my family.
8) Make my own clothes. Haven't done this a whole lot lately, but whenever I want something unique, like a vest, I make it myself.
9) Taking care of my house and yard myself (I may be splurging on Merry Maids soon, though)
10) blockbuster online membership. I love to watch movies, and this way is so much cheaper than actually going to the movies. I get to watch lots of movies that are cute but not really worth the nearly $20 experience at the movie theater.
Ways I splurge:
1) Take the sister missionaries out to dinner once a month (sometimes twice if they're good *g*). I love to go out to eat, and I love their company.
2) I collect things. Dolls, Star Wars toys, other themes, movies (I must have a thousand dollars in DVD's alone!). Most of the time I look for sales and such, but if I really want it, I get it.
3) Impulse buys. I love to buy stuff, and don't really care that I don't need it until I go through my finances and realize that I couldn't afford it.
4) Renaissance Festival. I love to go, I love to buy stuff, but most of all, I love Fight School!
5) I go to the movies. I spend about $20 for admission and treats. Sometimes I have dinner beforehand too. It's a whole experience that I have always loved. And yes, most of the time I go by myself, but going with friends is also way fun.
6) Hair cuts. I get my hair professionally cut (and sometimes permed) every 6 weeks or so. I get the way expensive shampoo that makes my hair thicker and keeps it from falling out. So I'm vain, sue me ;)
7) Travel. I love to take trips. Used to go on long road trips to see historical sites, have a trip to Europe planned for next year. I love to go places and see things.
8) Science Fiction conventions. I love to go see in person the actors and authors of my favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy shows or books. The artists too. This is a real splurge because there's always a dealers room where I can find things that aren't to be found anywhere else.
9) Costuming. I love to make costumes, and sometimes the materials get rather expensive. Most of these costumes are for the Renaissance Festival, but Halloween also figures prominently in my costuming plans.
10) Pets. I splurged on my dogs, and now I'm thinking about getting a cat...
3 comments:
I like the way you think Julia. Good splurges! Nice job.
I love to buy things too. Sometimes I think it borders on compulsion. BUT I’ve gotten a lot better at that recently! Good list.
I love the movie splurging! I think it's worth it for fun nights of good treats and good films.
Post a Comment