Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Weekend

Saturday

Went to Revel Grove again, this time to meet up with Shannon and Clare. I decided I didn't have to be there at gate opening, and that I could go incognito--I wore jeans and my Fight School T-shirt :) So I got there in time for the Stupina show, which I hadn't had a chance to see yet. Shannon and Clare showed up at the beginning but decided they were too hungry to stay so they left me there and went to find food. I joined up with them after my show. One of the events this weekend was that the Medieval Times guys were there, doing a sword fighting demonstration. We wanted to see that (of course), but as we had some time we signed up to get massages at the massage booth for after the demonstration. Went back, saw the guys fight--their swords made SPARKS!! I love Sparks! And the band isn't half-bad either (though if you're not from California in the 80's you may not get that).

We wandered until time for our massages--Clare had been moving furniture, so she got a back massage. Shannon went for the shiatsu, and I went for basic head, neck, and shoulders. We were floating for the rest of the day...

We went and saw Albannach, which I guess is a reinvention of Clanna Drumma. They were good, lots of drums and pipes (they're a Scottish group). Found out later that they'd started drinking too early in the day so they won't be back next year. Shannon's response to that was, "They're Scottish, what do you expect?" We did some shopping, trying to make our way through the crowds--it was PACKED. But then, at least it wasn't HOT. 10 degrees cooler than the previous week really made a difference. And that week was 10 degrees cooler than the last time I went. No rain days this year...

About 4:00 we ran into the Ravenwolves Clan (the family I hung out with on Opening Day). They were all in purple and black, per Midnight's request (she had her birthday that week). They all looked fabulous, but of course I forgot to get a picture (and even if I had, it would still be in my camera). The mom is in the Navy, and will be shipping out on an aircraft carrier in November, not to return until next May, so they're trying to fit in all the quality time they can before she goes (Shannon and Clare had actually met Ray, the dad, and the kids at my housewarming party). They're a really good family. It was great to run into them. I'll have to try to keep more in touch while Steph is gone--I'm sure they could use an 'aunt' on occaision.

Shannon and Clare then decided they were done so I walked them towards the gate. Then I went back to the Market Stage (you didn't really expect me to leave without seeing Fight School for the last time this year, did you??). I caught the last part of Hilby the Skinny German Juggle Boy--also very good. I can recommend his show to my friends with children. After Hilby, but before Fight School, there was a challenge to Dash from another actor (I know him as Mike, but I don't think that's his name this year, that was his name when he was with Teatro a couple years ago, I think). They both came out in straight-jackets, and then proceeded to wriggle out of them. Nymblewick tried to give us the history of the straight-jacket, but the crowd was too silly to listen. It was fun. Dash won, but Mike got the t-shirt??? Again, the pictures are in the camera. I really need to get them out of there...

Fight School was fun, as always. I try to remember significant moments, but I just can't. I do know that they were having so much fun they had to cut the gun duel for time. A mark of good, professional performers is that they keep to the time line. They start on time, and they finish on time. I, as an audience member, really appreciate that. Course, it could just be that because of the straight-jacket challenge, they had to cut something else. But that's ok. It was way fun!

Sunday
I totally crashed when I went to bed at 10:00pm on Saturday night. Actually, I did that Friday night as well, and even Thursday night I was so tired I just lay on my bed, thinking I'd get up in a few minutes and get ready for bed. Next thing I knew it was morning. Not sure what I've been doing to be so tired, maybe I should go to bed earlier? Anyway, Sunday morning I crawled out of bed around 11:30 am. So much for choir practice. I really meant to go, they really need people. So many have just stopped coming since Amy left, it's kind of sad. Liz can't get a good Christmas program together because no one comes. So I missed it too, this week. I did make it to Sacrament Meeting, but knowing that the lesson in RS was on Marriage, I skipped out and went home after SM. I have a really difficult time with the current Sunday School teacher. Not sure what my problem is, but I really don't enjoy his lessons. So I went home and--yup, you probably guessed it--took a nap. The neighborhood cat came in and took one too. After about two weeks of denying her entrance, she finally convinced me to let her in. I really shouldn't, I know, but I just have too soft of a heart. It gets me into trouble.

Then it was time to go to the SA potluck dinner. We had about 10-12 people there, which was really good. Next month is our annual Thanksgiving Dinner (more organized than a potluck dinner, but still food brought in by everyone). That should be fun, and bring in more people.

No comments: