Did you miss me?? Did you know I was gone???
I wasn't gone most of the time, last week was crazy, and I crashed every night I got home and didn't have to go somewhere. Then I did go to PA to see my sister and her family--and help with the sorting/packing/cleaning that must go on when one decides to move. I only caught one session of Conference, the Sunday Mornin session, so this means I have to read or watch all of the other sessions in order to catch up. Which is fine. I used to read through the entire Ensign the month after Conference, and then I moved to reading the talks during lunchtime at work, so that I would read through everything at least once during the 6 months between conference. I've been slacking on that, so it's time to recommit. Although lunchtime is also my 'blog' time, so I may have to do something about that.
Last Monday I finally transitioned from Leased Worker (read: contractor) to APL staff. I was oriented all day long, and only had about an hour of time at my desk that evening. Which was ok, it allowed me to get ready for the next two days. The System Requirements and Mission Definition Review. Remember that presentation that I've been giving for the last month? That was for this. The first day went from 8:00am to about 6:00pm. I sat through it all, eating the cookies and muffins they supplied as brain food, and having lunch in the cafeteria (because we only had half an hour for lunch). The next day we thought we were going to be an hour behind as well, but managed to catch up. It started at 8:00am again, and went to 5:00pm. Again, bagels, cookies and cafeteria. So much for my diet. I gave my presentation at 4:15, and there were three more people after me. Mine was the one we were worried about, and I was so prepared. I think the dry-runs were actually worse than the actual review. The Review board was really good, asking questions that pointed out the flaws that we had wanted them to notice. I did get asked to stay after class--uh, I mean, after the day was finished, to clarify some points, which I did. My supervisor was right there too, supporting me. I got the sense that he was looking out for me the whole time, which was nice. Afterwards he kept telling me that I had been 'awesome'. I actually got quite a few compliments, although one was directed at the 'planet' vest that I had worn :) Astronomers always like that one *g*
So that's mostly why I wasn't heard from last week. Thursday was spent doing catch up, after the last bit of the review (8:00 am - 12:00, with a debrief at 3:30pm, I had a donut but brought my own lunch this time). Friday I helped over at TIMED again and then went to my meeting and then left for PA. I left at 3:00pm. I got to Beckie's at 9:00pm. A typically 3 1/2 to 4 hour trip took 6 hours. Construction plus traffic accident. I called Beckie and she helped me bypass the worst of it, but even on the bypass route there was a backup. sigh.
Saturday we sorted and packed and cleaned, and a Real Estate agent came over (I would have totally recommended Chris, but I think this was a little out of his area) to look at the property. The kids were crazy. All three of them bounced off the walls all weekend. Daddy and Mommy were a little crazy too. Normally Beckie's the one that holds them together, but she's 7 months pregnant with company coming over(not me, the RE agent).
Favorite moments:
Collin, just turned 3, is a kissing freak--loves to give hugs and kisses, and apparently freaks out all the little girls in nursery with this tendency.
Malena (5) asked me to come outside to play with her. I told her that I had come to help her mom clean up the house. She responded, "I want to help clean the house too!"
Bonnie, 7, made paper hearts for me. She laid them all out on the floor to show me, and gave some to me. I was able to convince her to pick them up, that her mom would only see a mess, even though we knew it wasn't a mess.
Doug, my bro-in-law, watching conference with me, moving the computer monitor so I could see better. He often does little thoughtful things like that.
Beckie, my sister, planting bright yellow mums in her front yard.
6 comments:
Oh, you busy lady. I'm glad you presentation went well. Your vest must be good luck! Thanks so thinking of Chris - you're so sweet!
Sounds like you had a great trip! Don't you hate the traffic though? We once went to Williamsburg that took us 6 hours too! I was so mad by the time we got there with all of our kids at 1:00 a.m.!
Congrats on becoming APl staff! I told Bri and he was really happy for you too.
Glad you are back!
Congrats on becoming APL staff! That's great! Sounds like you had a fun visit with your sister and I bet she was overjoyed to have you help her out. Best wishes to them for selling their house!!
I'm so thrilled that you have "officially" joined Clint at APL and I'm glad your stuff went well :)
Hey, don't people usually go from staff to contractor? You went backwards! Maybe it's different at APL . . . Anyway, I'm glad your back and that you had a nice trip!
Yes I missed you and wondered where you went. Sounds like you were busy and having fun.
Post a Comment