Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Ancient History meme...

This seems like a good year for me to do this (thanks to my friend on LJ for this!)

40 years ago (1967): I was born!!!

35 years ago (1972): My sister Beckie was born! I finally forgave her for usurping my position as the baby in the family a few years ago (JK!)

30 years ago (1977): Star Wars came out! My dad worked as the projectionist at a drive-in theater, so if we went in with him we got in free. We were also allowed free popcorn and free drinks (in very small cups). My brother saw it 20 times!

25 years ago (1982): Jr High school over, High school begun. From the top of the heap to the bottom in 3 easy months. 'nuff said.

20 years ago (1987): Just graduated from Ricks College, was on my way to Utah State University. I wanted to be an astronaut. I got to be an astronomer. Safer, some would say...

15 years ago (1992): I was at the University of Iowa, going to smokey bars to hear great alternative bands (Trip Shakespeare, anyone?). Really liked the long-haired fellow astronomy grad student, but he had a girlfriend. Got into watching Dr Who at midnight with other fellow astronomy and physics students. Oh, and I was in the Physics Band. I do a mean cover of the B-52's 'Roam'.

10 years ago (1997): Was firmly installed in Maryland, considering a job change from the X-Ray Timing Explorer satellite to the Far Ultraviolet Explorer.

5 years ago (2002): Still working at FUSE, spent most of my time hanging out with my friend Becky, having fun with my on-line fellow Star Wars friends, went to Star Wars Celebration II in Indianapolis and got to see Carrie Fisher.

2 years ago (2005): Still working at FUSE, went to Star Wars Celebration III, still in Indianapolis, and got run off the road by a truck on the way home. Have I mentioned that I hate trucks? The big, rude, 18-wheelers that think running over small cars is fun.

1 year ago (2006): Start work at APL as a contractor, for the Radiation Belt Storm Probes mission. Joined a book club with church women that have since become some of my favorite people to hang around with. Bought my first house.

Now (2007): Finally made APL staff, keep busy hanging out with friends from many different walks of life (renaissance festivals, church groups, work groups--you have no idea how diverse these people are, and I love them all!)

3 comments:

Jenni said...

Hey, sounds like we both were doing similar things in 92 as far as going to alternative concerts. Fun times! So glad I get to hang out with you!!

Anonymous said...

How fun to have a dad working at the drive-in! What fun times and great movies you must've seen. How fun to meet Carrie Fisher! I think she's great. Ward talent show -- you doing B-52's!

Jann said...

This was really fun to read. It was great to learn a little more about you.