Friday, October 21, 2011

Taking a break

I'm taking a break from tracking this week. Tracking every little thing I eat. I haven't been good at it for months now, and it shows in my lack of progress in the weight-loss arena (no, I don't get to be Glinda this year for Halloween, I'll just pull out my purple witches cloak and go from there). So I thought I would give myself a break. After about two days of not tracking. So I really just made it official. I can maintain this weight fairly easily without even trying. So why am I paying Weight Watchers to maintain my weight? We're coming up on a new session starting Monday, so this really is the time to give this some thought.

Pros of keeping with Weight Watchers
  • Support Group. these people are amazing. Like J who came in starting at the middle of last year and has lost ove 150 lbs. B who has lost over 60 lbs--she started when I did three years ago, and while she hasn't made goal yet, if I'd followed her example I'd have lost 60 lbs by now too. Diana, our leader, is inspirational and motivating, and sends out a weekly email as well as keeping a blog (Thin Thinking, she's on my list).
  • materials. I love stuff. They have trackers and books and snacks and worksheets and booklets and recipe books and all kinds of stuff. All designed to help you keep focused.
  • eTools. They have an app for that. I can track on my iPhone, look up recipes, make meals, check out nutritional information at restaurants, just about anything.
  • I did actually lose 15 lbs. When I followed the program. And I have kept it off for about three years.
  • I do actually have better eating habits than I did, and I know what foods I really just need to not buy (potato chips--actually, just about anything with potatoes--bread, crackers--sensing a theme here?)
  • My activity level is actually higher than it was three years ago.
Cons of staying with Weight Watchers
  • Price. It does cost. It's about 80% cheaper than any other diet you can try (mostly because you eat all your own food, not theirs--they want you to eat normal food so it's easier to maintain once you reach goal). Once I reach goal and become a lifetime member, I won't have to pay anymore, but it has been three years of virtually no progress.
  • I don't follow the program. I don't track, or rather, I track until I get home from work and then I eat constantly until bedtime. If I want something and I'm out of points for the day, and out of weekly points for the week, I just eat it anyway. This is the behavior I really need to change.
  • No Mexican Mondays. My friends at work go to El Azteca for lunch on Mondays. My meeting is on Monday at lunchtime. Conflict!
Desire: I really do want to lose weight. Reasons for doing so (and yes, I do believe these ar ein order:
  • Health reasons. I need to lose weight in order to be healthy and live well. Still not convinced I want to live to be 100, but living to 80 to be with my nieces and nephews and their children would be really nice. Plus that whole, "Run and not be weary, walk and not faint" thing is quite attractive.
  • Clothes. I can never find cute clothes in my size, and when I do, I have to alter them because I'm 5'1" and the world isn't made for short fat people. Even petite sizes, while better, don't often come in big enough sizes.
  • Sisters. Oh yes, really want to lose weight so they will tell me I look great. Is that sad or what?
So it seems fairly obvious what I need to do. Stick it out, track religiously, and maybe by Christmas there will be noticeable improvement. but meanwhile I have the weekend. I think I'm going to make cupcakes. With all the little lower-fat tricks, of course, but still!

1 comment:

Cami said...

I agree. I tracked religiously for months and months (I use All-in Fitness on my iphone and it's the BEST), but when I decided to take a break and just "maintain," I didn't quite maintain as well as I'd like. Not so fun. But right now, I'm trying not to stress about it--just make good choices and not let my worth get caught up in my successes or failures in weight loss. At least I don't believe in EVER taking a break from exercise, eh? Good luck!!