Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Weekend

Well, I did get sick. But it didn't impact me too greatly. I did miss the barn dance on Saturday night, but I made the rest of the conference. And it was good.

Friday afternoon I went to the DC Stake Center early--originally I was going to attend the temple session, but I figured taking a cold to a closed room was not a good idea. I'm pretty sure I was still contagious at that point. So I hung around and offered to help but most of the stuff was already done. I went to the Visitor's Center around 7:00pm, to see if they needed me there, and I did quite a bit of running up and down the stairs in the theater room. The Knudsens from C2 were performing, and then Sis Okasaki spoke to us. She taught us three lessons using chewing gum. It was very good. Then it was back to the Stake Center for dessert and registration. I stayed and helped clean up, then followed Linda to the Seneca Stake Center to help her unload, then followed her to her house where she let me sleep on her couch. With my cold. I thought that was very nice of her.

Saturday I did sleep in a little, but not much. I got to the Seneca Stake Center about 8:00 am (breakfast was at 9:00 am) and helped as much as I could. I made copies of the choir music (I feel my one true contribution to the conference was the music, but I did try to help out where I could). I was first in line at the breakfast buffet, when it was time, but set my plate on my table and then wandered around for a few more minutes getting juice, running to get my vitamins (an essential thing when one is sick--and thanks Mendy for the offer of the Airborne, maybe next time!). While going to the chapel where I had left my purse, I saw Lon (the piano man) at the registration table. yay!! Especially since he was to play for us. I heard him periodically throughout the day in the chapel playing the piano. He's so good. He came and ate breakfast at my table, too :D

Sis Okazaki gave the keynote address, on being of good cheer. It was very good, as expected. Then it was time for the first workshop, but I'm afraid I slipped out and went to the powder room and laid on the couch for about an hour until lunchtime. Not a great loss--that particular workshop speaker is very good, but all stuff I've heard before. After lunch Bro Daines from my ward (ok, so I had two contributions to the conference) gave his workshop on "The Morning Breaks, the Shadows Flee, and the 10th Article of Faith". Really about the Second Coming. And how it's more of a series of events, instead of a single event (hey, he quoted Elder Eyring, so it's official!). Excellent, excellent talk. Bro Daines has such a unique perspective, given his work in 71 underpriviledged countries. After that was Bro Laird from Seneca Stake talking about having balance in our lives. I'm not sure exactly what I got out of that, other than a desire to figure out where I'm spending all my time and seeing if I can bring some balance to that. Then there was another workshop from the very first workshop speaker, which I again ditched, only this time to help start cleaning up the building in preparation for our departure to the barn. Chior practice was to be after the final workshop, and she went on and on and on... like I said, she's good, but perhaps we should have only given her one workshop to do. so Choir Practice didn't start until 5:30 pm, way late, and with a trip to the barn for dinner and the dance waiting for everyone. It went ok, although short. Then I went home for some much needed rest and sleep. I had boarded my dogs for the weekend, so it was very quiet.

Sunday it was up early and off to the Seneca Stake Center. I actually got there about 8:45 am, which was early. Choir practice was supposed to start at 9:15 am, so I was able to help do a few little things. Not a whole lot needed to be done, though. People came, and we practiced our two songs for the Testimony meeting we were having. It went fairly well. The meeting itself was very good--I was very happy that Pres Johnson from my stake came and said a few words along with Pres Hammond from Seneca Stake. I again was in charge of music--the choir sang one song for prelude, and one song after all the talks and before the testimonies began. I was somewhat anxious for Pres Johnson to be there for the testimonies of the single adults. I don't think he truly has a feel for the Single Adult program, and I knew this would be a good experience for him. And it was. Lots of heartfelt testimonies. Truly, this is my favorite part of Single Adult conferences.

Then it was time for lunch, eat up all the leftovers, then put away all the tables and things and say good-bye to everyone until next year. Definitely going to do this again--and definitely going to do my best to NOT BE SICK NEXT TIME!!!

4 comments:

Jenni said...

Sounds like a neat conference!! I love listening to Sis Okazaki - she's amazing! Sorry you were sick the whole time - not cool! But glad the conference was a success!:)

Cami said...

Yes, being sick ruins everything. If only we could plan it out . . . sounds like a good conference though.

Corinne said...

I've never heard Sis Okazaki - I bet it was awesome. It stinks that you were sick - I hope next year you are feeling at the top of your game!

Jann said...

What a great conference. I am sorry your weren't feeling good. I am amazed you did so much while being ill. I heard Sis. Okazaki speak when I was single. She was fabulous. Did she play her ukulele for you?