Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving Time again

Around this time of year, I always get a little pensive. My favorite Thanksgivings were when I was growing up. We'd have the big family dinner, my Uncle Bill would come over, and sometimes we'd have other people too, friends and family. I remember one year, I think I was five, Dad put a plank on some sawhorses on the patio in the back yard, Mom dressed it up, and we had our family, Uncle Clive's family, and Uncle Bill all there. I remember the time I first was allowed to make cranberry sauce myself, and how I got splattered when the berries would pop. I remember the year I helped Mom in the kitchen, and I didn't want to do the yams, so I did everything else. Sadly, Mom burned her hand on the yams, taking them out of the oven, I think. I felt bad about that, but like Mom said, I was there helping. I remember the trips we'd make to the Sav-a-Minit market on the corner for those last-minute items--marshmellows, canned pumpkin, stuff like that. There was always a football game on TV, which was turned off during dinner.

My favorite part of the day, though, once dinner was over and mostly cleaned up (we would pick at the remains for hours--a small breakfast and dinner was all we got this day), a brother or sister would sit at the piano and we, my siblings and I, would sing Christmas songs for hours. Dad, being a Band Teacher, didn't want any Christmas songs in the house any earlier than after Thanksgiving dinner, since he had to deal with them starting in September. But this was my favorite part.

Sadly, as the years have gone by, my family has moved away from home, and going back for Thanksgiving just isn't the same now that my Mom has passed on. I don't think I've actually been back there since my nephew Limi was on his mission several years ago. I have had the priviledge of joining my sister Beckie at her house for Thanksgiving several times over the last 8 years they were on the East Coast. Of course, they're back in Utah now too.

One thing I've been thinking about is moving back West. I've even started looking at the JPL job site. I don't think this is something that will happen anytime soon, not until after at least 60 days after RBSP launches (currently scheduled for May 2012). But I'm keeping my eyes open for the opportunity. Like everything else in my life, when the time is right, the way will appear. The Lord takes care of me like that.

So this year I'll be joining friends for dinner and sleeping in my own bed at night. With my cats. Who don't even know that this is a holiday. But at least Kitty will be happy that I'm home, there to open the door for here whenever she wants. Well, mostly. I'm thinking about braving a couple stores on Friday, and on Saturday I'm meeting up with my friends in VA to see Harry Potter. Can't believe I haven't gone to see it yet. (no spoilers please!!!)

In other news, my friend's son, who's serving a mission in Singapore, assigned to the island of Pana-somehting at the moment, was in a serious accident. He was riding his bike and was hit from behind by a car. A big car. After several miracles and a couple of surgeries, it looks like he'll be ok, but any prayers or good thoughts you can send his way, I know the family would appreciate it. His name is Elder Jeremy Schone. The family moved to Utah in August, so really, all I can do is pray. And ask other people to add him to their prayers.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a fun day with friends tomorrow. I miss my old family dinners too. I guess I should just say I miss my family, oh well. I look forward to you moving out here someday. :) Can you say Disneyland? :)

felicity & nathaniel said...

Happy Thanksgiving, my friend! I'm happy that, at the very least, you'll still be in MD when we return. :)
much love!

Kellie said...

I'm so glad you were part of our celebration, low key as it was. It helped me to have you there with me, friend.

Tracy said...

I enjoyed reading about your childhood Thanksgiving. Time just goes way too fast, but when we are kids at home, we don't realize it or appreciate it. I'd give anything to go back and have another holiday with my parents and all my siblings again like when we were young!
If you're looking for a movie besides Harry Potter -- we totally LOVED Tangled! You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll enjoy it!