My brother-in-law has been very unhappy with his job. He has to make 2-3 international trips each month, and it has been very hard on him and his family. So he decided to find a new job. And he found one in South Carolina!
This means that my sister and her family will be moving. This is the family that lives in Pennsylvania, that I go to visit fairly frequently. So it's kind of happy/sad for me. I'm happy that they have a new opportunity, and that they'll probably be able to buy a bigger house, and that they're staying on the East Coast. However, it does mean about a 7-8 hour drive for me when I go to visit them (notice I did not say 'if'). This also puts them about 7-8 hours from where my brother just moved to Alabama. So I'm definitely sensing a road trip in my future, when my vacation time catches up to me.
This also means that I can try to get my sis and her family to come visit me on the way south. I mean, really. How many ways are there from PA to SC? And how many of them use I-95? And just where is my house? Less than a mile from I-95??? Maybe?? Mapquest had them driving out to Frederick and avoiding the Baltimore Beltway--I can see some logic in that, but since it's only 6 minutes longer to come through Baltimore (depending on time of day, I'll grant you that), I think I got her to consider it. I also know that if they don't stop on the way here on their move south, they never will come. Too far, too many kids (did I mention she's pregnant? Due at Thanksgiving time--this makes 4), she'll never come to see me if she doesn't do it now. I don't think I'll be able to take her kids for a weekend anymore either, it's just too far. Knowing that they wouldn't be staying here forever has pushed me into going to visit them as frequently as I could. When they were in NJ, I went once a month. In CT, I went once every other month, since Southwest flew from Baltimore to Hartford very cheaply. I'm kinda hoping I can find something similar from BWI to someplace in SC. Hmmm, I have a friend who's a pilot, maybe he can help?? Offer advice, at the least! Anyway, when they first moved to PA I went fairly frequently, but it's been tapering off for the last year or so. I'm so grateful I've had this chance to get to know my sister, my brother-in-law, and their kids. I have them for Christmas this year, so I'll be going down there for that. Unless the airline thing comes through, I probably won't be going there as much as I have to PA. I just don't drive long distance like I used to (I've started falling asleep at the wheel, not good). But maybe for the occaisional long weekend. And holidays :)
8 comments:
Oh, that is sadish. I hate those long drives. I bet you will be able to get a good fare.
Also, I hope you can talk your sister into seeing you on the way down. Once my sister-in-law was in Baltimore (she lives in Oregon) and they didn't even call to have us meet them somewhere. Didn't know she was there until they were gone. I have my suspicions that it was her abusively controlling husband to blame there.
Like Cami, I really hope they'll take a break with you on the way down. It would be perfect. If Mapquest is telling them to get on 270 from Frederick, they will not be avoiding any traffic, so tell them that. Where in South Carolina? It is beautiful there in many parts. I have been on the coast and I loved it. If they are in Columbia, SW flies to Charlotte which is a couple hours drive or if they are in Charleston, you might be able to fly to Savannah.
It is hard to be away from family. I do not have a single family member this side of the rockies. I bet you are glad they will be within driving distance.
I'm glad they'll still be on the East coast though!! Sometimes I wish I could convince just one family member to move our way - at least so we could do holidays together... Hope you get to have them visit on their way down.
I know how great it was for you to have family so close! Not to mention that they will be missing out so much on such a great auntie! I bet they are even sadder than you are to have to leave you. Hopefully, they will come and visit on the way down. Love your attitude!!
My parents live in SC, and we drive down once or twice a year. They live near the beach, 2 hours north of Charleston.
They, however, take the Amtrak train, and they love it. It's a long trip, but you get to see a lot of interesting scenery, you can pee, and you can eat! It's also usually very inexpensive. It might be a fun adventure to try--at least once!
Ack! It is so hard to have family move away. I am glad they are still within driving distance for you though!
Beckie and family are moving closer to Alabama? Cool!
(I know this is a problem for you, but at least I can visit every now and again)
Maybe we can all spend some time during holidays or summer vacation together!
Post a Comment