Monday, July 2, 2007

Pivotal Day

Today is the middle of the year. 2007 is half over, we only have 6 months remaining. So the question of the day is, how are you doing on your New Year's Resolutions??

Of course you don't have to answer, but as for me, I think I will. I keep dropping the number of resolutions I make each year. This year I think I had three. One: to lose weight. And guess what?? I've lost 10 lbs since January!!! Yay for me! Two and three I'll have to go look up, but I would guess I'm not doing so well since I can't remember them. Oh well.

I had quite the weekend. My 5-year-old niece came to visit me for the weekend as a part of her birthday gift. The other part was her quiet book that is still not finished :::sigh::: We went to Port Discovery, and after about two hours (which included leaving to get lunch at the McDonalds next door) she was exhausted and so was I. So we went back to my house. She wanted to play with the dogs, but the dogs were scared of her, so all they did was bark and lay around. They wouldn't relieve themselves outside, either, but would wait until we were both upstairs and then make puddles in the house. On top of that my niece was coughing a lot, so although she claimed she felt fine I suspect she really wasn't feeling well. Sunday morning was ok as we played games and watched some morning Disney shows, the dogs were mostly ok but I locked them up when we went upstairs to play dolls (yes, I played Barbies with my niece!). We tried going to church, but that was a fiasco as she had a meltdown in the car before we even went into the building. I suppose I should have just bagged it right then, but taking the Sacrament is important, and I was fasting for Fast Sunday so my dogs will find a good home. We did go in, but ended up in the lobby until after they passed the Sacrament. We went back out to the car, only to find that I had lost my keys. Fortunately I was able to find them again quickly, thanks to my friend for noticing that I had left them in the chapel! We made it home and changed, where she had another meltdown, but we managed to get everything in the car and on our way to meet up with my sister who was coming down from PA to pick her up. The best part was that my niece slept all the way to the park near Hershey. :::sigh:::

So the weekend was rough, with a few good spots. The dogs did allow Malena to walk them when we went out for our morning and evening walks. She did enjoy going in the drain at Port Discovery--I went in after her the first time, and it really is kind of interesting, entering in from the kitchen and coming out the bathtub. It's very dark, you have to feel your way through it. Malena really enjoyed doing that, particularly after she found a glow stick someone had dropped. We watched Cinderella, both Toy Story movies, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and she helped me with her quiet book (which I will finish hopefully soon--it just needs sewing).

6 comments:

Jenni said...

I need to get crack'en on Nina's quiet book too!! I'm glad you were able to go to Port Discovery w/ you niece. That place is awesome!! What a fun auntie you are!!

Cami said...

What a good auntie. Man, Port Discovery would exhaust anyone! I need to get cracking on that quiet book too.

Jann said...

You are such a great aunt. What fun for your niece.

Corinne said...

It is honestly so important and special that you do things like that for your niece. I REALLY loved getting attention from my aunties when I was young. I'm sure I wasn't ever perfect either, but my memories from those times are :)

Brenda said...

Wow! I would give anything to have an aunt like you when I was little. You are so great! Oh, and can I say I'm so glad you took Raegan on Sunday! I was able to do sharing time and Bri was able to do his lesson! Yay!!

Julia said...

Hey, anytime you ladies need an 'aunt' for your kids, just let me know. I LOVE being the Aunt!!