Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Alas! FUSE!

FUSE* is dying. They're still trying to resucitate it, but there is little hope. The fourth wheel got stuck again in June, and all efforts (so far) to get it restarted have been futile. Without at least one wheel, the little satellite that could no longer can. Poor FUSE. Poor people who spent so many years, sweat, and tears on it. Poor those that will need new positions very soon. I feel really bad for the Primary Investigator. He was devastated last year when NASA wouldn't renew funding past 2008. Now he will have to find something else to do. then again, FUSE took a lot of really good data for 8 years. There's plenty of data to wade through. Maybe enough to keep him busy until he's ready to retire. Not that old scientists ever retire, it's not like it's a physically demanding job, after all.

I am grateful that I have a new position, and very shortly I'll be made an APL'er. I'm really glad my new satellites (there are two) won't have any wheels on them. Propellant doesn't last forever, but at least there are no moving parts! Well, ok, maybe one relay per thruster, but if one gets stuck there are other thrusters to do the job.

*FUSE=Far Ultraviolet Spectroscopic Explorer, the satellite mission I was on for almost 10 years.

No comments: