Wednesday, April 18, 2007

My perspective on this weeks events

Several of my friends have posted regarding the horrible happenings at Virginia Tech this week. I was sitting in a meeting with my boss and our other team member when he got a CNN update talking about the shootings. I was amazed the rest of the day when everytime I logged on to AOL they had a higher number of people who had died. I couldn't believe how the number kept rising.

I did check with my friend who had gone there, and she said just to pray for the families there. I don't think she had any friends attending there at this time, so that's something.

I had a friends of diverging desires at our Monday FHE this week--one that wanted only to talk about what had happened, and one that hadn't really processed it yet so didn't want to talk about it.

As for me, I blanked it out. Sounds bad, doesn't it? I was at the University of Iowa when the exact same thing happened, only less people died. People I knew, three of my professors, were shot and killed, one twice (just to make sure). One of my fellow grad-students was killed, and another was the one doing the shooting. An administrator was shot, and her secretary wounded, made a parapalegic for life. Yeah, I know all about college shootings. Took me years before I could even think about it without feeling devastated. I was on the sixth floor, the shootings happened on the second and third floors. So maybe a little callous of me not to pay attention to all the news reports, but I know that these people need the world to stop invading their privacy and allow them to mourn. Pray for them, send them financial assistance, but let them find peace in their own way. There are plenty of people there to help.

I pray that peace will be restored to the earth someday soon.

6 comments:

Jann said...

Wow, Julia, what a horrible thing to be so close to. I can only imagine it would take a long time to get over something like that.

Corinne said...

I didn't know anything about that Julia. I bet it makes this particularly hard for you.

Jenni said...

I am sorry, all of this must be so difficult for you. I didn't even know about that shooting in Iowa - what a world we live in...

Mendy said...

I just cannot even think about any of this. I think if I really did I wouldn't stop and I'd end up holed up in my house with my children and never let them leave again.

Julia said...

Which is why I try not to think about it. Or, like Mendy, I'd have to hole up in my house and never leave again.

Brenda said...

You have a good perspective about it Julia. I have not even watched the news because I feel like I am trying to blank it out too. I don't know if that's the best way to deal with it, but when you have a family you are trying to protect, I think it's the only way I can manage. I'm sorry so much happened to you in Iowa, I can't even imagine being in something like that...