Tuesday, April 24, 2007

My tree bloomed!

I was afraid my tree wasn't going to bloom, with it trying to bud before winter was completely finished, but I looked out today and there are white blossoms everywhere! I will have to take a picture :D

Last night I spent about an hour or so outside, mowing my lawn and attemting to chop down the weeds. I got a little clipper, thinking that since my yard was so small I really didn't need a full-size trimmer. Turns out I ought to have bought a machete. The clipper kept jamming. Oh well. I'll take out my Pampered Chef kitchen shears next time and just cut all the grasses and weeds down. My clipper should be able to handle it from there.

I went last Saturday to meet the Beagle Brothers, Lenny and Lloyd. They're younger than I had thought, only about 1 year old. They were overstimulated at first but then quieted down and we had some time just sitting. They're both handsome little guys, both white and tan, one being lighter than the other. I'm not sure which is which, and I intend to give them new names if they come to live with me, but the lighter one is more adventurous and comfortable with new situations. The darker one is more shy, so may have the tendency to act out a little more. Neither are housetrained at the moment, so that will be something I need to work on. The rescue group is sending someone to do a home visit this Saturday, and I'm thinking I may have to go shopping and get some doggy supplies. I have a pen I ordered from PetSmart coming either today or tomorrow (depending on when UPS deliveres it), but I need to get a crate, bowls, leashes, toys, brushes... time to dig into the portion of my tax refund I've been saving just for this occaision!!

I'll be picking up my dogs on May 5, which should be interesting given that I have about three other things to do that day. After I get them home, though, they'll have to go right into the crate for a while. Or maybe out in the back yard to play. Since I'm having company, either one would work. I don't want them overwhelmed by too many people, so they'll be downstairs while I teach my quiet book class upstairs. If all goes according to plan and I can get my dogs. So exciting!!

5 comments:

Mendy said...

I seriously cannot believe what a process this is for you, Julia. But how fun! Two little guys coming to stay. WOW! You are braver than I.

Julia said...

Says the woman with FOUR children! ;)

Jenni said...

How fun for you! May 5th is coming so soon!! I hope your doggies make a fast adjustment and all goes well. I'm excited for your quiet book class - I'm gonna try to make one for Nina ("try" being the operative word :)).

Cami said...

Congrats on the dogs!! Also on the tree. I have used scissors on my lawn more than once--I really think it's easier that way sometimes. Maybe you should get a goat . ..

Corinne said...

WOW! A Cinco de Mayo doggie adoptions. Congrats!! I possibly spelled all those words wrong - I don't know Spanish!