Ratinos
Got this as the word verification for my niece's blog just now. I can't decide if it's a kind of Latino rat or maybe something crunchy to eat. Thoughts?
Trips
I went to CA last weekend to see my Uncle Bill. Uncle Bill is getting old. He's probably around 90 or so. He's been in and out of the hospital since November, but in February decided he really had to move to an assisted living place. So that's where he is now. Since then he's had a stroke, and for a while there my Dad thought he'd be planning a funeral. I made the plans for the trip about two weeks before going, and after hearing about the stroke I was glad. I went thinking I was going to say good-bye. Imagine our surprise when we walked into his room that first day (Friday) and he was awake, aware, and happy to see us. About ready to cry from joy, but also from frustration as the stroke left him without the ability to speak properly. That trip Dad took me down and my brother Blaine and his wife Yoli met us there. It was a good visit. Uncle Bill's cable had been hooked up, and he was watching a basketball game. The facility he's in is very nice (Silverado retirement homes, in Tustin, CA), and one of his "adopted daughters" works there. Uncle Bill has never married, never had children of his own, but has gone out and "adopted" several other families, as well as making each of his nieces and nephews know how much he loved each of us. He is my example.
Saturday my brother David drove me down, and we watched part of our church's Annual General Conference with Uncle Bill. Again he was wide awake, happy to see us. He'd eaten all his breakfast that morning, too. We visited a little more, and talked about how to help with his communication problem a little. Then we returned back to my Dad's house (where we watched the afternoon session).
Spent Thursday and Friday afternoons with my brother David's kids--very fun, Wii, movies, and How I Met Your Mother, not to mention In-N-Out for dinner on Friday. Saturday my niece Leslie picked me up and we went to a movie then dinner at the Rainforest Cafe at Ontario Mills Mall. That was so fun. I love hanging out with my nieces and nephews.
Sunday morning I watched conference with my Dad and Nancy, then Blaine and Yoli and Leslie picked me up to go watch the afternoon session with Uncle Bill. My sister Dustie joined us there, which was great. Uncle Bill was so happy to see her too. He was a little more tired on Sunday. They'd taken him to go do his exercises that morning and tuckered him out. He was still awake, though, and got a little irritated at us for talking when we should be listening :) We brought him a little white board for him to write on, but it will take some practice as he was right-handed and that hand is now useless to him.
All in all, the trip was so much better than I expected. I'd expected to just be sitting by his bedside as he slept. I expected one trip down (it's about an hour from where my Dad and brothers live), hoped for two, and ended up with three. It was wonderful. I'm so glad I went. And here's hoping he sticks around until June, the next time I go out (when my niece gets married!!)
Plays
I'm in a play. I'm sure I've mentioned this. This week is Tech Week (aka dress rehearsals). As well as having several small parts, I'm also in charge of costumes. So I'm really busy. My cat thought when I got home from my trip I'd be HOME. But no. I'm gone every night until 10 or 10:30, then I work on costumes because they're not *quite* done, then sleep for a few hours before getting back up to go to work. Fortunately today is Friday, and I can rest a little tomorrow. Our first performance is tomorrow evening, at 7:30pm, the second one is on Sunday, at 2:00pm. Yes, I know, this means I'm missing church. I can go to a different ward in the morning, and maybe once a year or more it's ok. It's not like anyone's getting paid. Except the AV guys.
I thought it would be fun. I'm sure when I look back on it, it will have been fun. I am getting to know more people, and they are really fun people. But right now I'm just too tired to really care. And all my TV shows are piling up. Although I have been keeping up on my two reality shows (DwtS and AI(my first time watching that one)). I like to have something on while I sew, and they don't require a lot of attention. No plot twists. Although I have to say, Pia was ROBBED!!! Dang Casey for taking the save a couple weeks ago!! (although I was happy for that at the time) I hope someone picks her up, I would love to go see her, and love to have her music. Which I will have some of it, since it's available on iTunes, but I hope she gets to do much, much more.
Ok, back to the play. The Mouse that Roared. Very funny. If you're in the area, please come! Call me for directions (the play is free). And kid-friendly.
Ok, done babbling for now.
1 comment:
have fun with your play. Sounds fun! I missed getting to see you while you were here. Next time!
Post a Comment