Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Sound of Music and good-by to Salzburg

Wednesday
Time for the Sound of Music Tour--yay!
I LOVE "The Sound of Music." This tour was probably my first and main reason for coming. I didn't get good pictures of everything, mostly because, again, it was a bus tour and we didn't stop a lot.
This is the train station where the actual VonTrapp family left for Switzerland (Salzburg is not close enough to Switzerland to just walk over the mountains).

This is the castle seen in the opening credits of the movie

And here is the Gazebo. In actuality, they rebuilt the gazebo in Hollywood, making it a little bigger so Liesl could do her jumps from one bench to the next.

The palace used as the back of the house in the movie. The front side was a different palace; my picture of it didn't turn out. On the left side of the picture you can see the place where Julie Andrews and the children fell into the water.
This is me on the shore of the lake! (no, it's not photo-shopped!)This actually has nothing to do with the Sound of Music. It's a resort for rich people. Look at the color of the water! And with the mountain in the background, I can see why people would want to come here.
Can you see the steeple in the center of this picture, just below the lake? This is the church where the real VonTrapps, Maria and the Captain, were married (in the 1920's--several years before World War II)
After the tour we returned to Salzburg, and this time we had about an hour and a half to walk around. I went to the Mozart Birthplace museum, where we were not allowed to take pictures. however, I figured this sign, outside, was fair game ("Madame Muther, I like butter!", something Mozart was to have said when a child)

In one square there was this silver person. For a Euro or two, he would hand you a postcard and let you take his picture. Cool, huh?
And then we loaded back onto the busses and made our way to Munich. Not such a long drive this time (about 2 hours), and no concert tonight. We ate at the Haufbrouhaus (some of my non-church friends couldn't belive we were in the heart of Bavaria and no one even tried the beer!)
The entrance
Going back to the bus stop, I found this witch on the side of the building. I picked up some doll witches the next night; I heard they were good luck, but I'm not completely sure about that.

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Oh, your pictures are gorgeous. I love The Sound of Music sites. What a great experience for you.

Deb said...

that's awesome, julia. i loved salzburg, with all the street musicians playing mozart everywhere you turn. i missed the silver guy, though. i guess that means i need to go back! :)

Cami said...

Wow, that sounds so great! I love love love The Sound of Music too! My family has the same number of kids in the same gender order as the family so my mom made us sing all the songs as kids.

Kellie said...

So I'm finally caught up with your trip and this is my grand, collective comment: Thank you for letting me live vicariously through you! Your photos are beautiful-they all look too pretty to be real-I loved your assurance that they are, in fact, real, not photoshopped. What a great trip for you. I also loved your lovely dirndl that I caught a glimpse of a Sunday or so ago.