Monday
We got up early, and went for a ride... a very long ride... to Salzburg!
We took the scenic route...
In all the roundabouts, the towns placed fun things. Here we see a sailor, land-locked.
Now this is the Blue Danube. There are those that say it's not really blue (it is a river, after all), but it looks pretty blue in this picture.
Along the way we passed many farms. Here's a fun way to store your hay.
Austria is home to the oldest monastary in that part of the world. We passed by. I understand they have a good school there, as well as making and selling good beer (though I wouldn't know about that)
At last, Salzburg! And here's the hotel where we stayed.
An evil cat. I just had to take a picture.
Once in Salzburg, we grabbed a bite to eat, then went on a walking city tour. Our first stop, Mirabel Gardens, built by Wolf Deitrich, the Prince-Archbishop of Salzburg in the early 1600's. It was built by the same architect as Belvedere Palace, but it got bombed in World War II. They rebuilt, but it's not quite as fancy as before.
The steps in the background are where Maria/Julie Andrews sing Do-Re-Mi whith the vonTrapp children.
the long view of Mirabel Palace with the gardens and fountain.

The Salzach River (I may have the spelling wrong).
A very famous street, with signs dating back centuries. Obviously not all of them (the one on the right in particular)
Mozart's birthplace. I took a tour a couple days later; very cool.
We passed by the Kolliegskirche (University Cathedral). We performed there that night.
We saw the oldest coffee shop in Austria--yes, opened in 1703.
And the smallest house in Salzburg (A young man was told that he needed to have a house if he expected to marry a particular young lady, therefore he found some space and built a house)
This fountain was also featured in The Sound of Music; on this day it was the center of the Fan Zone--where the people of Salzburg could watch the World Cup.
Mozart worked for a while at the Dom Cathedral. Inside there are five organs; this is the position he liked to play (the actual organ has been replaced several times since then)
And what would a Cathedral be without a Rotunda?
Our Tour guide, by the baptismal fount.
The fortress that guards and watches over Salzburg.
St Peter's Cemetery, where some of the final scenes of The Sound of Music were filmed. It's a lovely old cemetery; you have to be someone important in order to be buried there.
We had dinner at the monastery, which was built back in the 8th century. Very cool. Europe has a sense of history that America just doesn't.
Inside the Kolligeskirke (and I would be very surprised if I spelled that right--I shall have to check when I get home). The ladies in ther outfits, awaiting the concert. It's hard to tell, but I'm on the far left.
Can you see what I mean about the impossible scarves?
In all the roundabouts, the towns placed fun things. Here we see a sailor, land-locked.
Now this is the Blue Danube. There are those that say it's not really blue (it is a river, after all), but it looks pretty blue in this picture.
Along the way we passed many farms. Here's a fun way to store your hay.
Austria is home to the oldest monastary in that part of the world. We passed by. I understand they have a good school there, as well as making and selling good beer (though I wouldn't know about that)
At last, Salzburg! And here's the hotel where we stayed.
An evil cat. I just had to take a picture.
The steps in the background are where Maria/Julie Andrews sing Do-Re-Mi whith the vonTrapp children.
the long view of Mirabel Palace with the gardens and fountain.
The Salzach River (I may have the spelling wrong).
A very famous street, with signs dating back centuries. Obviously not all of them (the one on the right in particular)
Mozart's birthplace. I took a tour a couple days later; very cool.
We passed by the Kolliegskirche (University Cathedral). We performed there that night.
We saw the oldest coffee shop in Austria--yes, opened in 1703.
And the smallest house in Salzburg (A young man was told that he needed to have a house if he expected to marry a particular young lady, therefore he found some space and built a house)
This fountain was also featured in The Sound of Music; on this day it was the center of the Fan Zone--where the people of Salzburg could watch the World Cup.
Mozart worked for a while at the Dom Cathedral. Inside there are five organs; this is the position he liked to play (the actual organ has been replaced several times since then)
And what would a Cathedral be without a Rotunda?
Our Tour guide, by the baptismal fount.
The fortress that guards and watches over Salzburg.
St Peter's Cemetery, where some of the final scenes of The Sound of Music were filmed. It's a lovely old cemetery; you have to be someone important in order to be buried there.
We had dinner at the monastery, which was built back in the 8th century. Very cool. Europe has a sense of history that America just doesn't.
Inside the Kolligeskirke (and I would be very surprised if I spelled that right--I shall have to check when I get home). The ladies in ther outfits, awaiting the concert. It's hard to tell, but I'm on the far left.
Can you see what I mean about the impossible scarves?
1 comment:
Yes, those scarves ARE impossible. But my my my! The pictures! Oh, it looks so incredibly fun.
Post a Comment