Thursday, January 30, 2014

Another NYC trip

This one was because my friend P from college was going to be in NYC for a conference and got tickets for "Waiting for Godot" and "No Man's Land".  Remember this?


He posted on Facebook that he was going.  Well, I really wanted to go see them too.  So I PM'd him about it, and we made arrangements, and I was even able to get seats RIGHT NEXT to his!

I got there on Tuesday night, January 14th, had a little dinner, and met P at the theater.  Got there a little early, so I had to wait in line, but it wasn't too bad.


The first night was Waiting for Godot.  It was a little bizarre, but I liked it, and it was beautifully acted.  My interpretation was that these two elderly men were in Purgatory or Limbo waiting to be released.  Patrick Stewart's character was the more aware one, while Ian McKellen's character was more forgetful and ornery.  It was a good portrait of old age and how some of us get left behind while everyone else moves on.  The days blend in to one another and you can't really tell the difference between them.  So it was a little sad.

Wednesday night was No Man's Land.  Same stage, a bit of a different set.  This is set in a London home, in the library, with an older gentleman who's barely aware of his surroundings (Patrick this time) and another older gentleman who is more aware of what's going on (Ian).  This one I didn't like as much, but it made a nice accompaniment to the other one.

Wednesday during the day P had his conference, so I was left to my own devices. Mostly I slept in, then I went shopping, and lastly I had Afternoon Tea at the American Girl Place.  I'd brought my doll Cecile with me.
Isn't she cute?  We had a nice little formal tea - for those of you who don't know it's three sets of different types of food, only a bite or two of each.  I had the frozen strawberry lemonade (or was it just plain lemonade?) but did have some herbal tea later as it was fairly cool.  Cecile loved her little cup and saucer too.
We got to keep the cup and saucer, and the little bow on her hand was my napkin holder.  She looks very happy to be there, doesn't she?  I acquired her friend Marie Grace as I was leaving (I had a crisis of "which doll to buy" before tea, so wasn't able to bring her to tea too).

It was a nice little trip.  It was great to see P again too - it had been about 14 years, and we were able to do a lot of catching up.

1 comment:

Beckie Hales said...

Trips to NYC, you just can't go wrong!!!