Tuesday, December 21, 2010

On the Grid

Saw TRON: Legacy last weekend. You know, it occured to me last night as I was waiting to fall back asleep, that our current society has been influenced by the original TRON. After all, how many times do we talk about being "on the grid" or "off the grid"? That came from TRON. Interesting, huh? Also saw Chronicals of Narnia (again, for movie reviews, see sidebar). I really liked them both. Here's hoping when TRON:Legacy comes out on DVD, the original will too.

Preparations for Christmas have been consuming me lately, but I think I'm almost done. Still need to do my Christmas Cards and letters--I've been considering just sending cards this year. I just can't think of what to say for my Christmas letter.

Friday Night I went with my friend and her kids to see the Symphony of Lights in Columbia. They have all these figures set up with lights throughout the Merriweather Post Pavillion. The kids were so thrilled to see all the lights, especially the 2-year-old. Christmas is so much better with children!

Saturday night I went to the Helicon Concert in Towson (north of Baltiomore). Three guys, one on Hammered Dulcimer or fiddle (Ken Kolodner), one on guitar, piano, citar or other stringed instruments (Robin Bullock), and one on flute, small bag pipes, or other 'toot'ed instruments (Chris Norman) playing seasonal music--not just Christmas, but also for Winter Solstice and even some Hannekah. Ken's son Brad played with them this year on a couple of their songs, playing a banjo and another instrument I didn't catch the name of. It's always a good concert, and puts me in the Christmas spirit. My friend K promised to put it on her calendar for next year (Dec 17, 2011).

Last night was amazing. We had a Lunar Eclipse. It is also the Winter Solstice today. This convergence of events hasn't happened for centuries--since Galileo was alive. My friend M assures me that it will happen again this century (2094). Not sure I plan on being around for that, though. Here's a picture or two from my iPhone (didn't turn out very well, but consider the source)



This last one I tried to zoom in, so it's really on it's side. I suppose that, even though the moon was red, it was still eclipsed so the pictures wouldn't be all that great to begin with. Not a lot of light. Except for the street light behind me. Why did they have to fix it so soon! It was out for a few days, I could have waited a little longer for it to be fixed!
I did go out in my backyard for a while where my house blocks the street light, but my Kitty wouldn't come out with me--not because it was cold (she went out in the front of the house with me) but because she'd have to pass through Ani's territory. I tried to get her, but she didn't want me to do that either. Oh well. Silly Kitty. While there, I picked some rosemary for the dinner I'm making today (crock-pot). I wonder if it's significant to pick rosemary under the light of an eclipsed full moon? Probably not.
They're calling for snow on Saturday. Yes, Christmas Day. It should be beautiful, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to travel down to my friend's house in NoVA if it does. Too many crazies on the road, even on a holiday.
So far I've watched Holiday Inn and White Christmas, on AMC. I also caught most of "The Major and the Minor" with Ginger Rogers. Very fun. A little weird having a 30-year-old pretend to be 12 (she only had half-fare for the train), but as the narrator said, audiences were more generous back then (it was made in the 30's, pre-war). Hey, C, there's another movie for you!

1 comment:

Kellie said...

I LOVED the eclipse. I got a few photos too. It was the first time I've ever a. remembered, and b. had such perfect conditions to witness a gorgeous celestial spectacle like that. I'm glad we were out shivering under that moon together.