Thursday, December 16, 2010

Geotagging and snow

How cool is it that our phones can tell everyone where we were when we took a picture with it? Well, after the article I just read, not so cool. Turns out that between facebook or other social networking sites, pictures we take with our phones, and even just using our phones, people can figure out exactly where we are, what our patterns are, and essentially stalk us without us even knowing. Finding out where we live and when we're not home. So that's a little creepy. Here's the link: http://nyti.ms/917hRh Kinda glad I have that home security system now.

I was informed of this from our security people at work, a presentation sent out to tell people not to give away so much information! So I'm doing my civic duty and telling all my friends.

Ironically, I got an email the other day about how kids would go outside and play all day long back in the 'good old days'. Well, these may not be the 'bad new days', but there's so much more out there we need to be aware of. Not afraid of, mind you, just aware of. I think it's ok for my phone to know where I am when I'm trying to get somewhere else, but maybe not so much when I use the facebook app...

In other news, it's snowing. And apparently the schools have started closing. Hmmm, to night would be a good night to go shopping, no one will be in the stores... but there will be no milk, toilet paper, or bread. Good thing I stocked up on Monday then, huh? I forsee toasted cheese sandwiches and soup in my future...

No comments: