Thursday, July 15, 2010

Three weekends, three states...

California

So I went to California three weekends ago, to see my nephew before he left on his mission to Colorado Springs (yes, Jenni, I told him to watch out for you!). It was his last Sunday to talk in Church, and oddly enough the topic was on families and mothers or some such. So his opening remarks were about how he'd asked his mother to do his talk for him :D So funny. It was great to go hang out with his family--my family. And I even got to meet Zach!

Isn't he cute??? So aside from the trip being way too short to really see anyone or talk to anyone or even watch Star Wars: The Phantom Menace with my family (ok, I did watch it until the Jedi left Naboo with Queen Amidala--I just can't resist Qui-Gon, but it had been a really long day), it was a good trip. I forgot my camera, but my phone takes pictures. Which means I have them now to share with you!! I should do this more often.





Movies in Maryland
The following weekend was one of movies--my friend came up from VA and we saw The A-Team and The Last Airbender. No, wait, the A-Team was a few weeks before. Knight and Day. That's the other one we saw. Hmm, maybe I'm seeing too many movies if I can't keep them all straight. Naahhhh...

It was also Independance Day. I watched the Capitol Fourth on PBS. I was wondering why they had a Chinese guy participating. He may be the best pianist in the world, but it's an American celebration. Shouldn't all the participants, well, be American? Maybe he really is, but I didn't get that impression... He did play beautifully, though. Maybe that's all that matters.

Iowa
Then last weekend I went to Iowa. Why Iowa, I can hear you asking. I went to grad school there. One of the guys I went to grad school with pulled us all together for a reunion. It was so much fun! While there, I joined the Physics Band. We now have an official name--the Absolute Zeros--and we have HATS!! 0K is OK! (Zero K, as in Kelvin, is OK--it's physics humor)


The Band. L-R, Amy, Grant, Jim, and Tracy. Tak and I weren't in this number.



Rock-and Roll Dog Tasha. Yes, she is big enough to carry around small children.












This is the place I used to live--only it was pink. I was on the first floor, third and fourth windows from the nearest corner. Considering the Physics and Astronomy building was right behind me when I took the picture, you know how convenient that was. it was great. I lived there my last year.



Tracy again, smiling. He actually giggled a few times too! I suppose most people reading this wouldn't know this, but Tracy doesn't show emotion. He mostly just stands and observes others. Finding out he's a drummer is a real shock to some people. That he was actually smiling! I'm so glad I was able to catch it on--well, not tape, but digital electronic bits of something anyway.

So that's where I've been the last three weeks. I'm looking forward to just hanging out around my house, and not going anywhere for a while. Well, except to VA, to meet up with my friends to see more movies this weekend. But I don't have to pack, so it doesn't count!!

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Love that you're having so much fun traveling. Strange seeing a man named "Tracy"
Loved A-Team, Bradley Cooper, yummy!
The baby is too cute!

Cami said...

Those are fun trips. Too many movies? NEVER! I agree about the keeping the 4th American. but what do we know? I wanted more fireworks and less Reba.

Kellie said...

I love seeing the pictures of your pals and places in Iowa. The band looks great and I actually got the physics joke! Glad that all is going well. I think I'll have to wait a bit for rock climbing, but if you want to come over and help me make tablecloths and giant paper flowers for Jeff's reception, I'll provide treats and screen-based entertainment.

Jann said...

What a great time. I wish we had some video of this rockin band. I am glad you got to take some fun trips.