Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Life is calming down?

Well, summer's over, and along with it all the family visits and visiting. Erick and I went to my sister's over labor day weekend, and had a blast. We walked through Congaree National Park with the kids, and Malena had to read all the points of interest along the trail. Since it was a swamp, there was a boardwalk all the way around it. And the Mosquito index was 2 (mild). I was glad of that, but still put on bug spray. Just so you know, the index goes up to 6 (war). On Labor Day Beckie took us to Charleston where we took a carriage ride and walked through the Market. I even bought a sweetgrass basket. Kind of expensive, but should last forever (unless Kitty decides to shred it for some reason). So that was fun.

I dropped Erick off at the airport, and it was time to get back to life. Rehearsals for the Mormon Choir of Washington, DC (MCW) have started up again. I auditioned for a duet, and was asked to come back again. I have to work on my breathing. Last week I had a work conference/workshop at Goddard Space Flight Center, so I drove to Greenbelt on those days. Not a bad commute, really. Took only 20 minutes to get there and back. The key is to only go on the Parkway for as little as you can get away with--in my case, from Powder Mill Road to 197. Worked very well.

Last Friday night (the 18th) I had so much fun. My Realtor, the McGinn group, was having a Customer Appreciation Night--an interactive viewing of The Sound of Music. I invited my friend Kelli to come with, and it was so fun. I wore one of the dirndl's I bought in Germany last year. We were encouraged to participate in the movie, so we sang along with each song, and tried to tell Maria to be careful. By the end a lot of the families with smaller children had gone home, and I think most people were getting tired, but I was having too much fun. I kept going, telling the Captain not to go out from behind his tombstone ("NO!!! Don't do it!!"), among other things. It was great. I do hope I wasn't too annoying, Bob McGinn and Chris (my realtor, the one that helped my find my house) both told me I'd done well, trying to keep it going. I also got to talk to one of my little nursery girls, and she even came to stay in Nursery on Sunday (she'd been having issues about going into Nursery, but not last week *g*)

Saturday I was supposed to go to the RennFest (Irish weekend!) but I had a headache. Now, don't think I was flaking out. I'd had this headache since about 6:45pm Thursday. Yes, I do remember exactly when it started. I just didn't have any time to slow down and try to sleep it off, and the headache medicine I take would make me hyper (imagine how hyper I would have been Friday night if I'd taken it). So I got up Saturday and went to my Pilates class hoping that would help, but when it didn't I took my medicine and laid on the couch watching tv shows all day. And taking a nap. Which may not sound like it made me hyper, but that's because the pain really didn't go away until mid-afternoon. Kitty was ok with the nap thing, but I think she was getting a little annoyed I wasn't playing with her.

This week, so far, we are indeed back to 'normal', whatever that is. I get up, go to work, count my points (I've re-joined Weight Watchers, and it's a good thing, too, since I gained back 10 of the lbs I lost last year just this summer), do some exercise, and watch my tv shows. I'm watching a lot less this year, though I did include Dancing with the Stars since Donny Osmond is on it. He's so cute. And Marie was in the audience, cheering him on. Of the men, I think there's only one or two of them that could be considered major competition. The ladies dance tonight. But I digress. And I can't believe September is 2/3 over. And I can't believe my birthday is on Friday. The number on the calendar is definitely not how I feel. I think my age should be 32 this year. Sound good? Think people will believe me if I tell them that?

1 comment:

Jann said...

You have had a very busy Summer. Yes, I think 32 sounds good. Happy Birthday on Friday.