Wednesday, May 27, 2009

movies and more movies

Ok, so my friend Shannon loves to go to the movies as much as I do. The biggest problem is that she lives in Northern VA and I live in MD. But when the movie is big enough, or desired enough by both of us, one of us makes the trek to the other's state and we go to the movies. On the 16th I met up with her at Tyson's Corner and we saw Angels and Demons. It was good. I liked it a lot, although I'd read the book so I already knew how it was going to end. I was a little surprised by some of the things they left out, but it is only a 2 hour movie. I loved the location stuff at the Vatican, and I really didn't think it painted the Roman Catholic church in a bad light.

Then last Saturday, May 23, we did a double feature in my neck of the woods. We went to Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian first. It was really funny. I laughed almost through the whole thing. There were a few things that were unreallistic--like he only had an hour to do a certain task, and went from Lincoln's Memorial up to the Air and Space Museum including a couple of fights and interactions and made it back in time (honestly, it's about a mile from the memorial to the A&S museum). It was fun to see Abraham Lincoln's statue get up and stretch--he's been sitting there for such a long time!

The second movie was Terminator: Salvation. Also very good. There were a lot of tributes to the first two Terminator movies--I've only seen the first one and commercials for the second, so I'm afraid I missed anything from the second movie, but I did get the first movie references. They did a really good job with it. I'm hoping for a sequel, actually. Should be quite good if the same people are involved.

What else have I been doing? Catching up on LOST. Well, sort of. I decided I wanted to rewatch the entire series from the beginning before the next season starts. I have 8 months, it can be done! My friend has never seen it, having been told rather strongly that she needs to start it from the beginning. So we're watching it together. We're already up to episode 7. I have forgotten quite a bit in the last 5 years. I'm enjoying the refresher course.

I also broke down and ordered season 3 of Combat! from Amazon. The Powers That Be on American Life TV Network have determined to stop playing Combat! altogether, and there is one episode in Season 3 that I HAVEN'T SEEN!!! It was going to show on June 2, but they're taking it off the air on June 1st!! Well, my first set came yesterday, so that's the episode I sat down and watched. Sigh. I just love when Sarge gets all cagey and saves someone's life (in this case Hanley, as he was captured by the Germans). I love Lt Hanley, too. He is so beautiful. And Kirby is so dang cute and funny. Ok, I'm pretty sure you've stopped reading this paragraph now.

What next? I've been reading books (I had to do something after all my tv shows ended for the season!). I'm currently reading "The Company of Good Women", a trilogy by a trio of LDS writers, about three women who meet up by chance at BYU Education Week and stay friends. Over the years they have a lot of different things happen in their lives, and they help each other get through it. I'm quite enjoying it--the portrayal of how life can be for LDS women in various life stages matches what I've experienced and what I've seen through my 20 years of being an adult in the church. There do seem to be quite the number of problems in their lives, major problems that most of us don't have to deal with, but they get through them the same way we get through any of our problems--prayer and friendship.

I'm still getting attacked by my cat (still not sure why she does that). Last night she was cute, though. I have a little Moses basket for my baby doll (the one that breathes), and the baby has been moved to the rocking chair to be with some other dolls. So last night Padme Kitty climbed into the basket and curled up. I covered her with a baby blanket I made for me (just in case I ever had one), and she actually stayed there until 4:00 in the morning. When she woke up, jumped up on the bed, and started attacking my feet. I guess she thought it was time to play. So I did the expected thing and threw her out (well, not physically, just verbally). But her being in the basket was very cute.

Oh, and I'M RELEASED. I am no longer the Single Adult anything in my ward or stake! I feel a little taller, now that that weight is off my shoulders. I suppose I still have to participate, but at least I don't have to find people to take over when I'm gone next month. Yay! And no more conflicts with the choir! Well, after this season, anyway. I'll go back in the fall to see if I like it any better. Christmas and Easter music is always so wonderful.

Well, I should get back to work now. I'd write more during my lunchtime, but someone's been scheduling meetings during lunch!!!

Oh, and Kellie and I did make it back to Earth Treks last week, and we're going again this week. We're not going to let 6 weeks pass by before going again, right??? ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow you've been busy. I love watching movies too. I especially love that my film class requires me to do so! I can't wait to see you in a few weeks. We still aren't 100% sure if we are to the reunion, it is going to have to be a last minute decision (with work and school and all). See you soon!!!

Kellie said...

Definitely not 6 weeks. And I love Lost. I'm already thinking about it at times when I'm not watching. I read someone else's blog post about a movie and I found myself thinking, "Oh, that is sort of like such and such storyline in Lost." Oh dear. Thanks for being my spirit guide in the land of Lost, friend.