Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Another weekend gone past

I've been seeing alot of movies lately. I went to see Wolverine with my friends the weekend it came out, and last weekend I went to see Star Trek. I enjoyed both movies. I can see that some Star Trek fans might be a little upset, but they did say it was an alternate reality... and with JJ Abrams at the helm, can you really expect anything less?

Saturday night I watched "Time after Time", a movie from 1979 with Malcolm McDowell as H.G. Wells. Rather slow paced, and I do remember watching it when it came out (helps that my dad worked at a movie theater so I got to see lots of movies for free when I was little). I wanted to see it again after seeing Malcolm at Shore Leave last year.

Sunday I watched movies all day long. I started with "Miss Potter", a movie about Beatrix Potter and her life (yes, the one of Peter Rabbit fame). I can highly recommend this movie, and it was certainly suitable for watching on a Sunday. I think I watched something else next, but I can't remmember. Rat Patrol episodes, I think. I also watched "What Happens in Vegas" (less appropriate for Sundays, but oh well). I saw this first at my brother's house in February, and just loved it. I've decided that one of my guilty pleasures is watching Cameron Diaz--she always dresses inappropriately, but she's also quite charming. As for this movie, if you've seen it, "You know why!" :D I also watched some Combat and a couple other recorded tv shows.

Why wasn't I at church on Sunday, you may ask. Was I sick? No, I was not sick. Some years I can "do" Mother's Day, and some years I can't. This year was a "can't" year. Now before you go trying to console me about my lack of children, remember that this day hurts for two reasons. One, ok, I'm not a mother, which was my life-long ambition from the time I was a small child. Two, my mom passed away 9 years ago. It's really difficult for me to watch other people get things from their kids, or give things to their moms, and I just can't participate. Getting a Mother's Day gift just because I'm female seems so pathetic some years. So I stayed home and watched movies and cried. ("Miss Potter" was really sad at one point).

Last night I had a guy from Long Fence & Home come over and try to sell me new, energy efficient windows. Sigh. I liked the windows, but the price tag was rather hefty. They do their own financing, but just the thought of spending that much money really just hurts. Although they would give me a discount if I could get them a referral (anyone out there thinking of redoing their windows?). It's about the amount of a small car. Maybe not quite that much. On the other hand, my monthly electric bill would go down. so much to think about. He really wanted me to sign right there and then, but I was really good and said I wasn't ready to make a commitment that night. I'm getting better at saying 'no'.

Tonight is the Biggest Loser finale, and I'm kind of anxious to see Carla again. I bet she looks fabulous. Although I'm also pretty sure we won't be seeing Joelle. I rather rexpect Tara to win, but I would like Mike to win--the prize money would pay for his college and then some (he's only 18 years old). He could go to any college in the country. Provided his grades were good enough, though.

Ok, time for me to get back to work. Have a great week!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update! I too have seen Wolverine and Star Trek. Wolverine was a major disappointment in my book. Whereas, Star Trek was totally awesome. I had to watch them and critique them for my film class and let's just say that Star Trek's music was supremely better than Wolverine's.

Stop being sad! I simply will not allow it!!! You are too cute to be sad. Buck up and buy those windows. I would have them if we owned this heap of a house.

Love ya lots!!!

Jann said...

It sounds like you have been seeing some fun movies. I love movies.

I am looking forward to the Biggest Loser finale as well. It will be awesome.

Unknown said...

I ditched church as well, and I thought of calling you, but I was trying to avoid the crying, by watching world cup hockey, so I did not. I'm right there with you, sis! Also, good for you for not getting into debt with windows. They do look nice, but it's a pain while they are putting them in and exactly how long would it take for the lower electricity bill to pay off those windows? Have a good week and I'll see you in a little over a month!

Jenni said...

I thought Star Trek was really good! It surprised me that I liked it, being the first time I've seen a star trek movie - I know gasp right?! The new captain Kirk is such a cutie!:) Good job in not being pressured to make a commitment on the windows!