Seven years ago, I was at work in the FUSE Satellite Control Center. We don't have much access to the outside world, but one of the operations team was reading the news on the internet when the news came. A plane had hit one of the two towers in New York City. There was confusion and turmoil as we all tried to find more information on what was going on. We put the information up on one of the overhead monitors (a giant screen on the wall). We heard a second plane had hit the second tower, and that one was headed for the Pentagon. We stood around and talked about war, about acts of war, about what this might mean for us, and for America.
And seven years later we're still trying to figure those things out.
Other things have happened on this day--babies have been born, people have reached milestones. Two years ago this is the day I began work at APL. Today my office mate is being moved to another part of campus, where she can be closer to her group, but she really didn't want to go. I personally will miss her.
And every year on this day I dress in patriotic colors. I get out my ribbon that I recieved from the Young Women in my ward in September, 2001, pin it to my blouse, and remember. Now that I have a house and an American Flag, it too is flying today.
Remember, remember. We must remember all those who died on that day, and all those who have died since. We must remember all those who died before, in wars--hot or cold. Defending the idea that people have a right to be who they want to be. To decide their own fate. To live their own lives in peace. Even when there is no peace.
May God be with you
Or whatever Higher Power you believe in.
2 comments:
I know I'll never forget that morning or that day. It's an event that changed our world, that's for sure.
Hey Julia, if you're in the mood for a happy time, we're going to the movies tomorrow night, Friday at Columbia Mall, 7:45 showing of "The Women." See you then!
Post a Comment