As you may have guessed, last week was not a good one for me. I get depressed, and then I have to retreat to my cave until I feel better. At these times I'm really not fit for social interaction. One thing always helps: holding babies.
I tell people I have one true talent. They laugh at me, because they think all the musical things I do are my talents, different talents to sing, play piano, etc. I suppose I tend to take those things for granted--I've been surrounded by them my whole life, and music is just like breathing or speaking to me. But I digress.
My True Talent is that I can put almost any baby to sleep. I hold them, and when I do, I have a natural rythm that rocks them to sleep. Lately at church there have been so many babies to choose from, but somehow I seemed to miss out on many of them. But last week I got to hold Nicole's baby, and this week it was Raquel's baby.
It always strikes me as a little funny when the moms ask if I'm ok holding their baby. I get the impression that they don't want the baby to be too much of a bother, or if the baby is fussy or something. What they don't realize is that I love babies. I won't give them back unless I absolutely have to. Like when they need to be fed (I can only feed bottle-babies), or when it's time for them to go home (I don't have a car seat). I even steal babies from other women who want to hold them too, although I do try to be considerate about that.
My sister Debi put me on to the best baby gift for me to give, too. I make baby blankets out of cozy flannel (100% cotton). I find cute patterns, and backs to match, and sew them together. I use a yard of 45-in material that makes a big, cozy blanket for the baby. My sister Beckie will be getting one for her fourth baby, but the one I made for her first may still be in use. The more they get washed, the softer and more comfy they become. And if the baby and family is in close enough proximity, I get baby-holding rights :)
So what do you consider your One True Talent? You know, the one thing that you can do that brings you joy and joy to others?
9 comments:
Your talent isn't just with babies. Sophia loves you and still thinks of you as her teacher, so you leave an impression on the older kids too. I wish I had just a little of your musical talent. I totally missed that line in heaven.
Well, when I have a baby, I won't ever ask you if you're ok holding it, ok? :) I've seen you with those babies, and you ARE great.
Hmmm . . . my true talent . . . I'm really not sure. Whenever I try to think of my best talents, they are also my biggest flaws--I'm so much so to a fault sort of a thing. I'll get back to you on that--perhaps a blog.
great post Julia - and ditto to what Tracy said. Sheely would go home with you in a heartbeat :)
I don't know if I have one true talent. I'll think about that one too.
I also think your true talents are more than just holding babies. You are a comfort to those mothers who might be in need to take a little breath. There is truly something about you that keeps those babies calm and wanting to be with you. Mine are all grown, not babies anymore, maybe if you try holding them you might develop a new talent! hahaha! Hugs, you're great and a fab. cook too!
That was such a cute post! You know, I think that I'm one of those mothers who are always asking if you are ok. I guess it's because I know some people get tired of holding a baby after a while. I always like a little break, so whenever you want to hold Raegan, feel free! I will remember you when Brian has to teach and I have to do sharing time again (:
By the way, we are always looking for baby holders in primary. Vanessa's little boy (not really a baby anymore, but still cute), Nicole's baby, my baby, the future Turpin baby and Jen's little boy (kind of a baby).
Love ya Julia!
Julia, what a wonderful thing to deal with sad times by sharing and recognizing your talents. I'm sorry you were down, but you indeed have many more than one talent, but this sure is a good one. I will also ponder your question. I have my sardonic pat answers to deflect attention away from myself, but it would surely make an interesting post.
Now I know -- when we've returned I will never have to ask if you want me to take the baby back! I am always nervous that I'm taking advantage of my holder.
We love the blanket you made for Leah. In fact, I can see it right now on the loveseat. We lay Sara down on it for tummy time.
My talent...? Maybe fixating and conquering whatever I get interested in? It's definitely a trait, at least.
You sure do have a talent. I love this post I see you at church with all the babies and you are so calm and relaxed. You are so great with kids!
What a sweet post! I can't wait for you to hold mine. I will see your face and think "ah, my arms can have a break!" =)
I agree, you are multi-talented!
Post a Comment