Friday, November 2, 2007

Friday at last

Halloween night went very well. I sat outside for about an hour in my costume, but not very many kids came so when I got cold I went inside. I still had a few more trick-or-treaters, so I waited until 8:00pm before I changes. And then I got a few more. I guess because Daylight Savings Time is still in effect there's not the big rush to get the kids out the door before it gets too dark/late? Anyway, I had about 30-40 kids, so while I have some candy left over, it's not a whole lot.

Thursday was book group, which was always fun. Somehow we manage to only spend about 45 minutes on the book before we get into really important things like potty training (although that was absent last night) and the funny things kids do. I did get to hold Nicole's baby for a while, so I didn't mind too much.

Today I got some bad news, though. My sister Beckie is moving to South Carolina tomorrow, and they've decided to completely bypass the DC area, such that they will not be coming by to see me or stay the night or have lunch or anything. I would offer to meet them in Hagerstown (they're going down I-81), but they've already decided that would be too difficult for me to do. So far out of the way, you know. Forget that there are outlet malls in Hagerstown. So after a small crying fit (I just *love* crying at work!), I'm a little better now. She said something about coming to visit me sometime, but I just know she won't. She'll find some other excuse not to. Granted, having 4 kids is a good excuse, so I can't even complain. So I told her not to worry about coming to see me. Ever. Didn't put it like that, but that's kind of how I feel. So much for having family in the area. They will be all gone as of Sunday. :( With gas prices it won't be that easy for me to just hop in the car and go see them either. The train goes down there (that was a very good suggestion), but it arrives at 1:00 am. Not even the rental car companies are open then, so I'd be stuck until morning and they decided to come pick me up. This totally sucks.

But it's Friday. Two whole days all to myself. Well, one anyway. And I have things planned for tomorrow as well. So I guess staying home and sulking is out of the question. I might on Sunday though. In the morning. Before chior practice. I missed one flipping week of choir practice and everyone that was there gave me grief about it. We weren't singing that week, I had a sore throat, I figured it would be ok. Nope. But I do get to help in Primary with the Sunbeams, so that will be good. Nothing like a Sunbeam to help you find a smile :)

8 comments:

Cami said...

Wow! You get a lot of trick or treaters (compared to us anyway--we get about 10). All I ever want to do is sit at home and sulk. But I suppose we must get on with the business of living, eh?

Joni said...

I can't think of anything encouraging or profound to say (that would be good, not just cliche), but I know that getting comments makes me happy, so here's my little contribution to a good weekend!!

Brenda said...

Hey Julia,
It was so fun to see you at the book group. I was just thinking the other day how much I miss our little visiting teaching adventures. I just want to tell you that I have always been impressed by your good attitude! Keep it up and know that we love you!

Kellie said...

Julia, I am so sad about your sister. You held out such hope and offered such a loving place for them. Hugs to you.

Jenni said...

Hugs to you Julia! I can imagine how hard it is to have your closest family move away! At least we have our ward family right?!:)

Britt said...

Hi there! Great to access your blog and see all the contacts from various folks. Hope you have a great week. Keep in touch.

Jeri said...

I wish I would have read this before our session. I would have given you a big hug! I am sorry about your sister not coming, or acting like it was a big deal for you to come see them. Boo. It is hard to have family far away. I agree with Jenni, we do have an amazing ward family.

Anonymous said...

I love when family visits and it's such a bummer when they don't end up coming. I hope she does eventually you though. I love those Sunbeams too!