Wednesday, September 12, 2007

More on Meyer

So last week book club was all about Eclipse. I mentioned this article: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20049578,00.html
(Sorry, Cami, she states that she really is writing for 12-year-old girls)
I've been passing along to my sisters and to my star wars email group that they should try reading this series (always passing along that mothers should read before daughters do).

I still feel that Eclipse wasn't as good as Twilight. Bella annoyed me, the triangle annoyed me, and I really hated that I found the pattern of the books:
1) Bella moping around feeling miserable and hating herself for 3/4 of the book
2) Mad excitement running around the country or to another country or even out in the country trying to save Bella from being eaten. (oddly enough this part always brings me back into the book--I really do like my excitement)
Twilight kept my interest, New Moon did a pretty good job, but Eclipse? Well, it was ok. I'm kinda thinking both Jacob and Edward can do better...

My sister Beckie has now read the entire set three times. I think she likes it almost as much as Harry Potter (she read OotP so many times she had to buy a new book because the old one fell apart--literally and without help from her children).

6 comments:

Cami said...

Well, then, Meyer's is an idiot, I guess. Stop writing about sex for 12-year-olds. Sheesh! It was ok for 15-17 . . .

I agree. I know, very unpopular to think this book was a let-down. But what do you do?

Jenni said...

Oh, Twilight is definitely still my fave too. But I didn't mind Eclipse. I guess I wasn't expecting it to be a masterpiece so I was happy just to take the ride. And Edward was there the whole time which made me happier than New Moon! :) I'm in agreement with ya on Bella tho, she's not my favorite character and I hope she gets better in the next one!

Anonymous said...

You're right about one thing, Edward can do better -- I'm right here waiting! (I know, he's fictional, but I can dream):)

Brenda said...

I'm still not done!! I'm just about though. I bought it with all kids in tote on the first day and just haven't had a lot of time (I value sleep more right now). I just got to the end of the night in the tent though, so almost finished.

I also agree with you about Bella! She is driving me crazy in this one. Why does everyone think she's that great, I mean what does she have??? She's not even nice most of the time.... Ahh! (:

Kellie said...

Glad to hear your thoughts, Julia. I actually haven't been that hot to read Eclipse because I was annoyed with New Moon. I'll see it through though and probably be just like you-get sucked back in by the excitement and suspense.

Joni said...

I actually liked Eclipse quite a bit. Much more than New Moon! Twilight is still the best, but I think Eclipse was lovely. (Now I'm not so sure about Leah reading it, but for me it was great!) I'd like to read Midnight Sun and get a handle on WHY exactly Bella is so appealing.