Went to MDRF on Saturday, and it was so fun! I actually overslept so I missed the first Fight School and Super Stupina, but I ran into my friends the Ravenwolves Clan almost immediately and we hung around together all day. They are the Best Family Faire-ever! (Those who came to my housewarming party got to meet all but Lady Ravenwolves and the oldest son)
We wandered around the grounds for the most part, stopping for quite a while to talk to Amras the Squirrel King and have some lunch. It was So Hot. Lots and lots of water to be drunk. Switched to Lemonade around 4:00pm or so, though, when my persperation started tasting a lot like the water I was drinking. However, it was so nice to hang with them and see so many of our faire friends.
There are some new shops at the festival this year. A Master Weaver has set up shop there, with clothing and capes and things. She names her patterns--Shady Grove, Cardinal, Peacock, and several more. You can guess what the colors are like. I'm defnintely getting some, and at least one skirt/top/vest combination that I could wear to church it's so nice. Another new place is a drum and flute place, where you can get a small drum to hang on your belt, or a timbre, or even a flute--a practice one if you prefer! They are simply beautiful! And I'm thinking I know what I might be picking up for Christmas gifts this year... at least for family... I am going to go so broke.
We saw four shows--far fewer than normal for me, but I did get to hang with my friends. We saw Slavya, a women's singing group from Bulgaria. They sang all in Bulgarian, and told us about the songs before singing. They didn't have any CD's, or I would have been sorely tempted.
After Slavya, we saw The Chess Game, which is in a different location this year. Normally it's played on the Jousting Feild, but this year they wanted to make it part of the King's story, so it made more sense for King Henry and Princess Anna to play on a stage rather than at the feild where no one can hear them. The fighters still got to fight for each square, though. Always good to see the fighters!
Between shows, we got recruited to sing for Princess Anna at her bridal shower. Unfortunately the Princess didn't show, but the song (to the tune of Row, row, row your boat) goes thusly:
Soon, soon, you'll be our queen, but Anna don't relax!
Chippty, choppety, chippety, choppety, hope you're spared the AX!!
Prior to Fight School 2: RELOADED we sat and listened to E! Muzeki. They were fabulous. They play gypsy music, and they are so talented! I am definitely getting one of their CD's--I couldn't on Saturday because I just had enough left to buy a Fight School T-Shirt! Yay! They were out of time, but the Fight School boys told them to play their last song--a rendition of Led Zepplin's Kashmere that has to be heard to be believed. And I don't even like Led Zepplin. 'Course, this meant that the Fight School boys got to play around backstage for us to giggle at. What was also neat was the belly dancers came out and danced while the band was playing (Christie? Christina? you must come!)
Fight school was great as always (I'm not prejudiced at all, am I?) Just a couple favorite phrases: "Batista!" "I don't care if it's hot, these people deserve a show!" Afterwards I did get my first t-shirt (only had enough $ left for one), and all four boys signed it. I even got two signed post cards! Not sure how that happened, I think one more was signed than actually needed, but now I have one to frame and one to put in my scrapbook forever and ever!
So fun! I'm going again on Labor Day and I'm seriously considering Celtic weekend--which is the 8th, not the 15th as I told one of my freinds.
Pictures of the weekend will be forthcoming. and hopefully sooner than last years (which I think are still not posted...)
4 comments:
So, I've totally decided to go this year. The only day I can go is the 22nd - this post made me totally excited!!
Sounds like the ultimate RF!! Sorry it was so hot for ya, but seems like you had a blast!! How fun!!
I love the RF. Someday I'll get my costume finished...too bad Sara's beautiful princess dress doesn't fit her anymore. Glad you had such a good day. Thanks for sharing-it was fun to relive good memories vicariously.
I can't believe it's Renaissance Faire season already. We look forward to our day there every year.
Post a Comment