I know, I should really leave this alone. but I just CAN'T!! At least my sister's reading the infamous teenage vampire series, I would really love to know what she thinks. I leant her Twilight, then found out last night she had to run out and buy the next two :D
There may be spoilers here, but I think everyone that reads my blog also has read the book (I think I'm woefully behind)
I was considering some of the comments that were posted after my last Eclipse post (and no, I haven't finished the book nor gotten to *that* part yet), and it sounds like a lot of people think that the Edward/Bella relationship is the most perfect ideal one there could be--so very romantic. I'm going to disagree. I know I'm in the minority, but I think Jacob is much better for her. Edward is so busy taking care of her and trying to protect her--even from himself--that he doesn't seem to see her as a true person. Her ability to block him from her mind intrigues him, yes, and the smell of her blood intoxicates him, but is that love? Her complete collapse after he left in book 2 seems more like an obsession rather than love to me. I personally wouldn't want someone protecting me from life and from death.
On the other hand, Jacob protects her, tries to keep her from hurting herself, but allows her to be who she is. She's happy, really happy, not obsessed when she's with him. He tells her everything she needs to know to keep herself safe, and is there to help. He is much more empowering to her, allowing her to make her own decisions yet be there for her. Also, his world doesn't revolve around her--he has his own life and interests.
Maybe, just maybe, this is the author's point (keeping in mind that I haven't read the last book yet so I don't know if this is the end of a trilogy or the start of a series). She keeps Bella out of trouble, but will someday help her to see that Edward truly isn't good for her. Jacob, while possessing an inhuman part, is far more human, far more good. Or maybe Bella just likes the bad boys, the way so many women do.
Course, this is just my perspective. I couldn't see the love story in "The Time Traveler's Wife" either. But for me, if I were in Bella's situation, I would have to choose Jacob.
3 comments:
You're not alone, Julia. There's a whole contingency out there who are on "Team Jacob."
This is partly why I feel the series has already gone too far. I think many of us have had that unhealthy relationships (i.e., obsessive) that Bella has with Edward (and he with her, actually). I for one, don't believe there would be nearly as much romance if they were both the same species. But I also don't think Jacob is perfect either. But then, neither is Bella. I'm actually getting sick of the whole lot of whiners!! I think Edward seemed mature (always a little too perfect) and Jacob immature, and Bella just plain selfish (weren't we all). That is my take. I also just commented on the other one--I had missed it!
ok, i haven't read the books yet and i have no idea what you're talking about but i did try to check them out of the library today and there are 68 people with a request in for the books!!! looks like i might have to give in and buy a copy.... :)
Post a Comment