Monday, May 21, 2007

A sad tail

I really wanted a dog.
Or dogs.
I wanted a friend to greet me when I come home from work.
I wanted someone who would encourage me to exercize and eat properly
I wanted someone to take care of.
In return for affection I would exercise, feed, and play with my new friend or friends.

So I adopted two year-old beagles.

(Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan)

I didn't really realize just how much time I spend outside of my home.
I didn't sit down and figure out that 3-4 times per week, sometimes more, I come home to eat only to leave for another couple of hours.
I expected to crate the dogs whenever I couldn't be with them.
I didn't realize this meant they were in their crate 20-22 hours per day.
When I did, it broke my heart.

So I called the woman from the rescue I've been working with, and told her my problem and concerns.
She agreed that it wasn't healthy for the dogs to be crated so much.
Better than being in a kennel, but not better than being with a family, which is what they really need.
They need a place where they can run and play.
They need a place where they are not in their crates so much of the time.
They need someone who can work with them on their chewing issues.
They need someone who can be with them more often.

So my little beagles will be moving to new families.
They'll be with me until a new family or families are found, but they will be leaving.
My poor little guys will probably not even realize why they have to go.
I hope they will be happy.

For now I will concentrate on my garden and my house.
Maybe some day I won't be gone so much.
Maybe some day I won't have to go to all the single adult activities (80% of why I'm gone so much)
Maybe next time I will get a cat.
At least a cat won't need to be crated while I'm gone.
I hope.


PS I do know this whole dilemma was created because I wasn't listening to the Spirit. I prayed about getting dogs, about getting these dogs, and I couldn't really make up my mind. I had so many doubts and concerns but I decided to go ahead with it anyway. Every day with the dogs I seemed to revisit whether or not I should keep them. The stress was undoing all the good the exercise was doing. Once I decided to give them back, all the doubts and questioning and concerns just stopped. I grew depressed thinking that I was so unfit as a mom I couldn't even take care of dogs, but then I realized that I had it backwards. If I was a bad mommy I would selfishly keep them. Or I wouldn't care that they have to be confined so much of the time. I need to give them up, and hope that they are better for the experience.

5 comments:

Jenni said...

I am so sorry it didn't work out with your doggies Julia... That must have been so hard to make that decision, but it really sounds like it's for the best. Maybe a cat really would work better for your situation. A hug to you during this hard time.

Cami said...

Awwwww, your doggies! I'm so sorry you don't get to keep them. I'm sure there will be time for you. Good luck.

Jann said...

I am sorry about this. We got a dog, and it didn't work out for us either. So do not feel bad, you are not the only one. We have found that cats work much better for us. We have three cats, and they are great. We adopted a 2 year old cat, then about six months later adopted 2 kittens. We got them at the pet adoption center at petsmart. We were able to pick them out, and take them home the same day, which was nice as I am not real big on waiting for anything. The nicest part is they were already litter trained, even the kittens.

Mendy said...

This must have been a hard decision to make, Julia. I am sorry for your sadness.

Corinne said...

I like this post for a lot of reasons. I can tell that you took this so seriously and that you worked so hard to make the right decision. I think, too, that you are doing the right thing. The last thing you need is guilt, my friend. I heart you, okay??