Monday, May 14, 2007

Another Mother's Day survived

I have a really hard time with Mother's Day. I used to be somewhat ok with it, but ever since my Mom passed away I just can't seem to deal with it appropriately. Some years I avoid church altogether, one year I went to my sister's for the weekend, a couple of years I had responsibilities so I went but tried to avoid the treat the women get handed--sometimes successfully, sometimes not. It seems to be the little gift we get that tips me overboard, not sure why that's such an issue for me. Probably didn't help that we sang funereal hymns in Sacrament Meeting, either.

This year I thought i would be ok--I have my doggies, I have more friends than I have had in the past, and I was substituting in Primary, so I thought I'd be distracted enough I'd be ok. Alas, I still found myself out in my car sobbing. It's not Christmas, it's not Thanksgiving, it's not even on her birthday or the day she died, but it's Mother's Day that I miss my mom the very most.

I'm thinking next year I go back to hiding under my covers until the day is over. I really don't enjoy being honored for something I'm not, and reminded of something I no longer have. Both on the same day is just too much.

So I went home after church, carried my dogs upstairs (they are scared of stairs), and we watched a sappy girl movie (In Her Shoes). My dogs will bark at other dogs, even if they're on the TV. Silly dogs, can't tell a real dog from a pretend dog. Or maybe it confuses them that they see a dog but can't smell one?

5 comments:

Jann said...

So sorry it was a hard day for you. I hope you know you are loved.

Jenni said...

I second what Jann said - I'm sorry it was such a rough day and you are loved!!

Julia said...

Thanks *hugs*

I'm really ok now; I would keep my morosity to myself, but I think it's good to get a different perspective out there. Thanks for putting up with me :)

Corinne said...

I wish I'd logged on sooner. I didn't even know about your mom,
Julia - I am so sorry. I can't even image how hard it makes that day. Don't feel like it's "putting up with", okay? You are my friend. I want to hear whatever feelings you have. You don't make me feel like you put up with MY ramblings!! All ramblings are valid, ESPECIALLY if they have to do with feelings about our moms. I heart you, my friend.

Mendy said...

I'm so sorry Sunday was such a hard day for you.