Thursday, May 10, 2007

Alas! Poor FUSE, I knew it well...

I got some saddening news today. Some of you may remember that I used to work on the Far Ultraviolet Spectroscopic Explorer (FUSE) program. FUSE had a hard life, losing three of four reaction wheels, failing gyros, and torquer rods that weren't built to do the job of three reaction wheels. It was managing, when I left, but it was hard, and stressful for the systems engineers. And the planners. And the RT controllers. You know, everyone who was needed to make it work. The science was still very good, though.

Today I found out that it's fourth and final reaction wheel got stuck on Tuesday. They're not throwing in the towel, they're going to do everything they can to save the satellite, but quite honestly, the 8-year old spacecraft may have reached the end of its life. NASA already put an end date on its funding (Sept '08), although they were trying to appeal that decision. However, with this new development, NASA may decide to pull funding now--a few people will be needed to clean up and turn off the lights, but after that the bird is target practice (re: satellite folklore where the Air Force took out a science satellite they thought wasn't being used anymore).

It's sad to think FUSE might be ending--after all, XTE, my first mission, is still going, not strong, but functional. I'm also quite glad I no longer work there. It's a shame for the guys they just hired out of school, though. I don't know what will happen with them, they haven't been there long enough to even be trained properly.

In other news, my dogs have decided they like the taste of my futon in the basement. So they don't get to be on it while I'm not home anymore. They knew I wasn't happy, although I didn't yell or even say anything. I just cleaned up the mess, and they hid in their crate. If they're bad today I'll move them back into the laundry room. I would love to give them free reign of the house, but I just can't. Not yet. Too much too soon makes doggies think they're in charge. I'm just glad they know not to potty in the house.

I still feel bad about being gone so much, though. I've had something every night this week, including tonight. Tomorrow I want to try to take them to the pet store to find some better chew toys (they don't seem to like the ones I already bought them), and maybe car harnesses so I don't have to take the crate everywhere we go, but we'll see. Maybe we should just stay home and try grooming (they've been shedding a lot!).

4 comments:

Corinne said...

Sounds like the dogs are keeping you busy!! Sorry about FUSE, I know how attached my father in law gets to his satellites :)

Brenda said...

I'm so glad you are at the APL. It would be awful to loose your job if you still worked with the FUSE. Your dogs sound so fun. I have heard though, that it's like having a new baby. I bet it's a lot of work, good luck!

Jenni said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenni said...

Sometimes I think to myself "my gosh I'm friends with a real rocket scientist"!! :) Sorry to hear about FUSE...

I'm sorry your doggies chewed your furniture - sounds like they are acting more beagley now!! :) Its nice they're potty-trained though!! :)