So my supervisor at work, Mike, moved to Colorado. Before he left, he was given two framed pictures, and since they wanted as many people as could to sign the pictures, they were left in an accessible place for everyone to see. Silly boy left his address on top of them where just anyone could see it. So I wrote him a letter, just for fun. Told him I didn't expect a reply. But yesterday I recieved a letter back! So fun!
Poor guy's having an adjustment out there--he's never lived in the desert before, and the job isn't quite what he'd hoped it would be. His family is still here in MD, waiting until school is out before joining him out there, and he's kind of sad. Started me thinking, though. I've done that move-across-country thing five times, now, and it's never easy. And yes, I do it by myself because who's going to come with me? But you know, my church really makes it possible to move so far from family and friends. Basically I show up and people are there to assist me--with rides, with directions, with whatever I might need. Visiting and Home teachers are assigned, and soon enough I have friends and places to go and things to do that are not work related. This is such a blessing. I've known other people who've made long-distance moves that after a year or two decided to move back where they came from--all the friends they had were from work, and it just wasn't enough.
Even when I didn't want friends the church still provides me with them. A few years ago I swore off having any more friends after my very-best-friend-in-the-whole-wide-world 'dumped' me (this happens to me a lot, I'm not sure why). But somehow I've found myself with a group of friends that don't seem to mind how weird I can be (or maybe they just don't know yet *eg*). So thank you, friends.
(Man, didn't realize how sappy this was going to get!)
4 comments:
I hate it when friends "dump" you. I just don't understand. crazy! It is good to have the church. What kind of friends would I have without it? I don't know . . . none, I guess.
I know what you mean about having the curch wherever you go! I really couldn't have moved out here, without knowing I had the church as a support system. It makes such a difference. How do people survive without that???
I have to say I agree as well. Knowing that there was always be a group of people to support you where ever you go is a huge load off. It really does make a difference
I agree w/ everyone, we are so fortunate to have the church... It would be almost unbearable to live this far away from my family with out our ward family.
Post a Comment