Monday, November 20, 2017

A trip to the Temple

Last week was a bad week.  We still have not received my brother's death certificate.  I asked for help from my law enforcement peeps on Facebook, and as a result contacted the San Bernardino District Attourney's office.  The Public Relations person there was very nice, and has sent my request to the Sheriff's Public Relations people.  Hopefully we'll hear back from them in a day or so, or I'll contact them directly.

I was feeling very sad, almost in tears, but since I have no vacation time and no more sick leave, I had to go to work. I've had a lot of doctor and dentist appointments lately as well, which means I've been in a little more pain than normal (stupid teeth decided to fracture so now I need crowns on three of them).  Plus my blood sugar has been uncontrolled for about a year now.  I changed doctors and am working on my lifestyle changes again, but these things take time and I'm depressed now.  Not to mention I've had a headache for over a week :(  Even the Chiropractor didn't really help.  Although I've got to stop sleeping on the couch (it's just so comfortable!)

Friday night I considered calling in sick to my temple shift (I work as a Temple Receptionist twice a month in the Los Angeles Temple), and it occurred to me that what ails me is not physical, but rather mental and spiritual, and the cure for that is to be had in the temple.  So I went, and during my shift the Lord kept me busy.  My last station they didn't need me, so I went home early, and was still feeling pretty miserable, to the point where I ordered Domino's, even though I'd ordered Domino's already that week.  And ate most of it.  And fell asleep on the couch again. 

But when I woke up I felt so much better.  Like capable of doing things and going places and even cleaning my house.  That feeling has lasted to some extent, and the darkness that had overshadowed my soul seems to have lifted.

A fairy godmother didn't come down, wave her wand, and make all my troubles disappear, but my stint in the Temple helped me overcome my despondency and made me able to care for myself once again.


No comments: