Thursday, December 31, 2015

Three month hiatus

Sure feels like it! I haven't written my blog for over 3 months! So much has been happening, though.



First, I got a job in California, and will be moving there shortly after the New Year. Hopefully. It kind of depends on when my house sells, but at least it's on the market now. This job is still with APL (the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory where I've been working for the last 9+ years) - they have a satellite office (no pun intended) in El Segundo, near LAX. The job has to do with moving a project from one contractor to another, and from one government office to another. There are no current rules for that, so my job is partly to make sure everything goes smoothly. Since my background is in operations, they're looking for me to make sure the new people can operate the old people's spacecraft. So new and exciting and if I'm lucky I may get a trip to Alaska out of it. But probably not. At the very least, I get to move back to California, where I can see my family WHENEVER I WANT TO!! Very excited about that!!

I did have a couple or three more trips those last few months, though I actually stayed home for the entire month of September. I know, right?

In October I went to Tulsa and hung out with one of my favorite nieces Daph and went to Wizard World Comic-Con.  I got to meet Christian Kane and Sean Astin! Was majorly excited about that. Check my facebook page for pictures, I haven't figured out how to put them here easily just yet.

In November I went to our Family Reunion, hosted by my sister Kathy, held in Tucson Arizona (and now you know why we picked Thanksgiving over June like the last three). It was really great. I love being surrounded by family, even if we were missing a couple of siblings, and more than that of nieces and nephews. I managed to pull off a virtual 5K - it's a thing online where you can sign up, and they send you a shirt and a medal if you finish, and it's for charity. Then you get to walk or run 5K wherever you are on the given day. One niece and nephew also signed up, but I invited anyone who wanted to participate, and we had about 10-12 people come. Plus Shilo the dog. She was thrilled. As was I. Kathy led the way, and it was really fun. Then of course, the main event was sitting around a very long table (ok, like 3 tables pushed together) and eating the wonderful repast, giving thanks that we could be there sharing it all together.

In December I mostly worked on getting my house ready to sell. I actually spent a lot of time in November doing that as well, but December is when the big push came, and it paid off when I was able to put it on the market a couple days before Christmas: http://9214redbridgect.blogspot.com  I really need it to sell quickly so I can move out to CA.  They want me to start on Monday (January 4), but I can't afford to move out there until my house sells.  Which means I'm going out there on travel, back and forth, for a while until that gets settled.

However, in December I also went to Utah for Christmas, and it SNOWED!!!  Maryland experienced the warmest Christmas on record - and muggy too, from what I understand, but Utah was beautiful  I was in South Jordan with my sister's family, and it was great.  Except for the part where the 5-year-old and I got sick, but that just meant we missed church and got to hang out and read and watch movies.  So it's all good.

That's the major part.  I hope to keep up better in 2016, but may need a new computer at home in order to do that.  Hmm, maybe I should go shopping tomorrow.  There are bound to be some sales... ;)

Happy New Year!!

No comments: