Thursday, June 21, 2012

A new calling

I suppose it's time for a new calling.  I've been in Nursery for over 3 years.  I love being with those little kids, and playing with them.  I love having a 5 minute lesson and snack time.   But I guess it's time for me to move on.  Because last Sunday I was released from being  Nursery worker.  I suppose I should feel sad, and maybe it hasn't hit me just yet, but I've been feeling for the last few months that I've lost my 'touch' with the little ones, and had an increased desire to just sit and hold babies.  And there are a lot of babies that need to be held!

So the Bishop emailed me Saturday night asking to meet on Sunday and I tried not to be fearful (our Primary President is moving in a month or so, not that I thought I'd be asked to do that, but you know what kind of vacuums that kind of thing creates).  With all that's going on at work, I really just wanted to be released so I could focus on my job responsibilities without having to worry about subs or lessons or anything like that.  But the Lord had a better plan for me.  I was called to be a Library Assistant, with special emphasis on working with the Relief Society.  So, no lessons to prepare, have to be there but there was a suggestion that me and the Ward Librarian should take turns in the library, and a good chance that I'll be in RS almost if not every week (that's where the babies are).  As I told the Bishop, I can do that.  Plus I'll have to make sure I come to all the Thursday night RS meetings, but that's fine.  I should be going to those anyway, and they're only once a month.

Today I'm kind of cheating--I'm sitting in a review, having already given my presentation, and mostly listening as my boss presents his stuff to the review board.  So far we haven't got too far behind, lunch is over, and no one's asking questions that can't be answered.  Will be here a while longer, since it's scheduled to go to 6:30 pm tonight (we started at 8:00am).  RS is tonight, so hopefully I can go.  I don't have my keys yet so it's not like I'll be much help that way, but I should get used to going in any case.

Kitty was on a tear last night.  I had brought some work home with me, and she really doesn't like when I break with routine (i.e. sit on the couch for hours so she can snuggle with me).  Ani was a little sad that I didn't stay very long downstairs as well.  I will try to make that up to him tonight.  And Kitty too.

3 comments:

Beckie Hales said...

Wow, librarian! That sounds like a great calling, to be honest. Can we trade? (I'm being released from Nursery this week, too...and from all my other callings too. I think I'm getting fired. Or being placed in a music position again. Although I like that too, librarian would be better!)

Corinne said...

I was so bummed when they pulled you out of nursery - but this sounds like a great calling for you :) And don't you worry, in a few months I will need those arms of yours!

Kellie said...

That's great, Julia! I'm glad YOU feel good about it.