Since I'm not certain that there are people who read this who aren't LDS, if you need clarification for anything just ask. Otherwise, I'm going to be writing in "Mormonese"
An exciting thing is happening in my stake. Four wards are getting new boundaries!! The last time this happened, four wards became five. I'm convinced that history will repeat itself, although I seem to be the only person who thinks that.
Come on, of the four wards involved, three have over 400 members, and one (mine) has almost 600 members. A standard size ward is about 300 members (yes, including children and teenagers). Do the math!! So yeah, I'm thinking we'll be getting a new ward.
We already have a new building. I drove past it today, and it looks really spiffy. It's actually not far from where I work. Which is not far from where I live, but the church building is in the opposite direction from where I work. So that's kind of unfair. But really, it's ok. New building, new ward, everything will be so fun! It was fun the last time, only the building wasn't *quite* ready for us when we moved in. We're assured that will be different this time.
The sad part is that we won't be seeing everyone we know every Sunday. Then again, it will be easier to get to know people in a smaller ward. My ward, in case I haven't mentioned it before, is humoungous. Really, it's big enough to make two wards. We don't fit in the building we're currently in, and the new building is the same size. In actuallity, our ward has never been small. Six--or was it seven?--years ago our ward was the new, fourth ward that was created, and from the very beginning we had to open the curtains at the back of the chapel and extend into the cultural hall. Our Primary classes average around 10 kids per class, and the young men/young women classes seem to be about twice that. The little tiny classrooms in our building just don't come in that expandable, bigger on the inside than on the outside (Dr Who reference) size. We just don't fit. So while it will be sad to not see friends on Sundays, I'm actually kind of hoping we'll have a ward that fits into our building. Our new building. Because the building we meet in now is actually in another stake. But that's another story.
But like I said, almost everyone I've talked to seems to think that they're just going to readjust the boundaries a little more equitably. We find out on Sunday.
So exciting!!
3 comments:
Even though this doesn't affect our ward, I am also excited! I still consider ourselves part of the SM "family" since we were there from the beginning (2003, by the way. Soon after we got married and moved into the L ward.). After the split we taught CRT 7 and our class was SO BIG we had to meet in the GYM one week! We had 17 kids there! I am definitely curious to see what happens. I hope it works out well for everyone involved :)
Ahhh! I'm dying over this. My kids are anxious because they don't' to lose any of their friends. I don't want to lose any of my kids from my Sunday School class. But the ward is huge. I know whatever happens I'll be sad. I'll be especially sad at having to be at church at 9:00 now. I sooo enjoy sleeping in.
There's no way they can redo lines without making another ward! No way. It's about time! We never fit in that building from day one. Good luck to all of you!
Post a Comment