I feel the need to record this, and given that no one reads my blog anymore, I feel pretty safe doing it here.
Last Thursday (June 16, 2016) I flew in to Denver to attend Denver Comic Con with my friend Kayna. We were on our way to the hotel, making a left-hand turn, when we were hit by an oncoming car. Our car rolled, turned upside down. I remember the noise of the car hitting ours and thinking ok it will stop now and then we rolled and I thought ok it will stop now and then it rolled over and then it stopped. Actually, I wasn't thinking in coherent sentences, but there you go. That's what happens when you try to write something out, it gets a little wordy.
I remember feeling heat, and I was pretty sure it was coming from our engine, and all I could think then was that we needed to get out. "Seatbelt", I said, and reached for it. Remember, I was hanging upside down, so when I unclicked the seatbelt, I fell on three of four. My friend dropped as well, and there were people on her side who opened the door for her and she was able to crawl out. Apparently one of them had a knife and was prepared to cut the seatbelt, but it wasn't I kept looking to my door but couldn't get out that way. There were white things in the way that I later realized were the airbags. I then crawled out the driver side door where there were people waiting to assist me out. I asked where my friend was, and they took me to where she was sitting on the curb. We had a few moments to realize that we were both ok, and what little blood there was was on Kayna from some scratches. I wasn't bleeding externally, though bruises were starting to make themselves known.
Within 5 minutes there was a fireman/paramedic in front of us asking which car we were in. He couldn't believe we were in the one that had flipped over, and were sitting relatively calmly on the side of the road. We were bundled off into the ambulance where the paramedic checked our vitals and the police kept coming to ask us what had happened - a different one each time. They finally took our licenses. The paramedic wanted us to go to the hospital, and I agreed. My tummy was hurting, and I've seen too many hospital shows where the seatbelt does more damage than the accident, so I figured I should get checked out. So we spent the night in the ER. Oh fun.
Kayna wasn't hurt badly at all, just some scratches like I said. And while the seatbelt did the most damage to me, it was just bruises. I had an x-ray and a CT scan just to be sure.
What I want to point out was this: we were extremely blessed. We walked away from what could have been a very serious, life-altering accident. The Lord was truly watching over us.
No comments:
Post a Comment