Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A trip to NYC - November 9, 2013

OK, so after going to NYC three times in one week last June I wasn't all that thrilled about going back, but when I found out Orlando Bloom was going to be on Broadway, I just had to get tickets.  Fortunately I had a friend who wanted to come with me (along with her 10-year-old daughter).  We went up separately - I took the train in the morning, they took the bus the night before.  I wandered a bit, checked out the theater.  Yes, he played Romeo in Romeo & Juliet

The Richard Rogers Theater

Me in front of the poster - see, I was there!
I also found the theater I'll be going to in January to see Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan
Coming here in January!
I sat in Times Square for a little while - it was chilly, but not too bad.  I saw someone making a movie there.
the guy in the blue shirt is the director.  I think.

Then it was time to meet up with Tess and her daughter, and go to the theater

In our seats - front row balcony


A very minimalist stage.  It worked great!
The production was the best production I've ever seen of Romeo and Juliet.  Romeo - I mean, Orlando - was fabulous, and so was his Juliet, Condola Rashad (yes, the daughter of Phallycia Rashad of Cosby Show fame).  She was perfect playing a 14-year-old.  So scattered and talking so fast!!  It was easy to believe that these two characters were just so caught up in each other that they couldn't see anything else, just like teenagers do.  And Orlando even took his shirt off for part of one scene!!  (I know, such a fangirl).  His first entrance was on a motercycle, and it was just fabulous.  I wanted to get his autograph, but I guess there were some issues with really crazy fangirls, and also the actors/stage crew wanted to raise funds for a Broadway charity, so I got this, signed by everyone:
My new poster!
I'm telling you, that thing is getting framed and put on my wall in a place of honor.  It is so totally worth it.  I got it from one of the supporting actors, Con (he showed me where he signed it).  It was so fabulous.

So of course afterwards I left Tess and her daughter to their hotel and took the train back home.  What a great day!!

1 comment:

Beckie Hales said...

Oh that would have been lovely to see that - it's been forever since I've seen Romeo & Juliet. Glad you had a great time!