I don't know where else to put this, so I'm going to throw it out here. My niece had a baby last May, 4 months early. He had to go through so many surgeries, but seemed to be doing so much better at Christmastime. He only had two more major hurdles to go through--eat on his own, and breathe on his own. Then he took a turn for the worse. More surgeries were proposed, and his poor parents struggled with it all.
Then two weeks ago more surgeries were proposed, but this time his parents felt that it was time to let go. So after a very tender moment on Sunday, March 3, where his mama got to hold him, and he looked up at her and smiled, Grayson passed away. He was 9 months old.
I was able to fly out for the funeral, which was very tender. My brother and his family--especially this particular niece--were so glad I was able to come. I was glad I was able to go. My work responsibilities were very low--no one had to cover for me. My production responsibilities were ably handled by the production assistant. My church responsibilities were handled by those who were in charge (ok, so all I was needed for was to open the library for Relief Society, but still).
My heart is still very sad.
I returned to work to find that my friend and co-worker had passed away. He'd been diagnosed with brain cancer in January. Such a kind, gentle soul--when he called me for work-related matters he'd always say, "I suppose you're sorry to hear from me," but I never was. For a long time he thought I was about 10 years younger than I am--young enough to be his daughter. When he found out from something I'd posted on Facebook, he was very surprised. Yes, we were Facebook friends too. I miss him.
This year is not starting out so well. But spring is coming, and my daffodils are getting ready to bloom. And rain will make the flowers grow.
1 comment:
Rain does make the flowers grow, but rainy days can be very gloomy. My heart is sad, too. Love you, sis.
Post a Comment