Monday, July 20, 2009

Incidents

My life seems to be a series of incidents lately. Let me fill you in...

The Kitty Incident
Yesterday morning I let Kitty out as I am wont to do when the weather is nice. Because it was nice I had the windows open. About ten minutes after letting her out, I heard the distinct noise of two cats tangling, then the mournful sound of a cat crying. I hurried outside, then around my house and down the street. Kitty has tangled with one of the neighborhood cats before, so I wasn't surprised to see the grey cat slinking away. Kitty came out from underneath one of the cars, and allowed me to pick her up, although she was hissing and claws were extended. She really hates that other cat. Both were fine, though, no visible damage. I made Kitty stay inside the rest of the day, though.

The Harry Incident
My friend Shannon and I went to see Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince on Saturday morning. We went to a 10:45 show, then to lunch afterwards. I really enjoyed the movie, I felt it was faithful to the book even though there's no way all the stuff from the book could be put in the movie. It occured to me that Harry and his friends followed the same basic principle that is encouraged in my church--no dating until 16. Ok, so maybe there was some dating before that in the books (Harry and Cho and Valentines Day anyone?), but there's definitely some hormones raging in the 6th year. It was very cute, I thought, and very well done. I also liked that it got the PG rating again. Not a lot of violence, though there is a lot of sadness at the end (and I won't spoil it if you haven't read the books). I prepared for the movie by watching all the previous movies, and now I've decided to re-read books 5, 6, and 7. Just because. I find if I read a book right before the movie, I don't enjoy the movie as much. I spend the whole time going "they missed that, they didn't put that in." So now it's time to re-read the book for my comparison:D

The Air Conditioning Incident
My air conditioning is broken. It broke before I went on vacation, actually, but I really didn't have time to deal with it then. So I waited until I got back home. I called BGEHome, mostly on the recommendations of several friends, and they were very good. The repairman came out, looked everything over, and told me I could replace the coil (the part that is broken), or I could just replace the whole system. Given that after January 2010 I will no longer be able to get parts for the 10-year-old system, and that it's about $1700 to just replace the coil, I decided to bite the bullet and get a new system. The salesman came over, measured everything, and on Thursday this week I get a new HP/AC system. Should be a lot cheaper for my electricity, I get a tax rebate, and a new programable thermostat. Never did get around to installing the one I bought at Home Depot last December. Oh well, don't have to worry about it now. In the meantime, they loaned me a window AC unit that keeps me nice and cool during the night. Kitty's not sure what to make of it, though.

The "Savior of the World" Incident
My friend and his daughter were in a production of "The Savior of the World" in Silver Spring Stake. It was really good. They both did fabulous, and I even got to sit by his wife and 4-year-old son for the performance. I love being able to go to things like this.

Well, that's all I can think of for now. Hope things are going well for you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like life is keeping you pretty busy. Yay for getting a new A/C!! I would die of I didn't have one. it has been over 100 here.